Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On my '02 2500HD the only "empty location" is directly under the steering wheel. I can not see it from normal vision, but can reach the bottom lever with a little stretch.

Just scratching my head trying to look at good "locations".

Irony... bought the controller 5 years ago when I bought the truck, first time I've used it! In the past either used a tow bar, or tow dolly (no brakes), never did buy that trailer I planned on buying! :flipoff2:

edit: prodigy brake controller
http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
in the van (limited locations!!)...I decided to bolt it to the driver seat base in the middle...I can look down and kinda see it...

but ya KNOW when its workin..and wanted to be able to hit the manual lever if I needed to lock the trailer brakes (drivin on snow/ice and it slides wide)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Do you use the ashtray? If not can you mount it inside the ashtray? When I get my controller thats what I'm going to try. If it works out right you can hide it when the ashtray is closed.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Do you use the ashtray? If not can you mount it inside the ashtray? When I get my controller thats what I'm going to try. If it works out right you can hide it when the ashtray is closed.
That's what I do with my taco. (I know, I know. I'm not as cool as the diesel guys.) Because it's my DD I prefer not to have the brake controller right there all the time. The ashtray holds it in place at a suitable angle and it's stored in the armrest when it's not needed. I drilled a hole in the back of the ashtray and the wire for it just stays there all the time. I open it up, plug it in, and I'm off to the trails.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Wrong chevy body style, but here is where mine is at in my 98.

That's the most typical location for just about all trucks and works in 98% of the applications that we see in the shop.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks.

Didn't fit the ashtray. Yep, ended up under the steering column. I can not see it when driving, but at least can lean to the side and look at it.

There were two holes, so used some monadnock clips. Clean so I can remove it (once I have the cruiser home, need to sell the truck to pay off medical bills).

Oh, it's a gasser.... :flipoff2:

edit: yep, need to clean it out before I sell it. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
954 Posts
my dad has an 04 2500 chevy.

He has his mounted to the left of the steering column higher up on the dash.

Doesn't get in the way, and you can see it and reach it easily.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
my dad has an 04 2500 chevy.

He has his mounted to the left of the steering column higher up on the dash.

Doesn't get in the way, and you can see it and reach it easily.
That's where the new factory one is mounted in the new Chevy's.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Like stated above.... Right of steering colum, on knee bolster. Its visible and "reachable".

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just shoved mine between the seat and console, i can reach the override very easily and don't have to look down to find it cause my arm is already right over it anyways. Only drawback is when someone else drives my truck and moves the seat

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
There were two holes, so used some monadnock clips. Clean so I can remove it (once I have the cruiser home, need to sell the truck to pay off medical bills).
What are these monadnock clips?

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are these monadnock clips?
The little things that I can never remember the name of. :flipoff2:
clip nuts, captured nut clips, and a thousand other names are used for them.
Monadnock is the company that makes them (they started off as a textile mill, then started making those clips for one of their machines... now just make a bunch of different fasteners)

It is a "S" clip with a screw nut captured on the back side. Common on aircraft, but a pain in the butt to find elsewhere. There a "tinnerman nuts" that use sheet metal screws, but I hate finding the screws vibrated out over time.

I usually buy them surplus (50 for $10) at aircraft swap meets. Yikes,
Aircraft Spruce list them for $1.72 each. Ouch!
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/04-00151.php

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
30,983 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on the new P-3's, I just got done watching the DVD, and reading the owners manual and installation instructions. The rear of the unit must face directly forward. There's an inertia sensor in there that won't work properly if it isn't.

·
In GOD we trust. USA
13,089 Posts
One thing to keep in mind on the new P-3's, I just got done watching the DVD, and reading the owners manual and installation instructions. The rear of the unit must face directly forward. There's an inertia sensor in there that won't work properly if it isn't.
..and level too, I thought.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts