Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been searching for turning brakes, and I have found some made by CNC and Jamar, but they didn't have any decent pics.

Any ideas where to view and purchase these?

Seems like the ones I found were for VW's, so will they push enough fluid for my GM metric rear calipers?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point JR,

I want to lock an individual wheel. I think there are some with one handle, and it appears that PUSH would do one side, PULL the other. I'm guessing? Anyway, I think it would be easier to just have two handles, that are upright.

Some places mention 5/8" and 3/4", but I'm not sure what that refers to.

It would be nice to see a pic before I purchase, for mounting reasons.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
5/8 and 3/4 refer to piston diameter and piston diameter is important it has to do with how much fluid the piston will move and it needs to be enough for the caliper pistons or wheel cylinder your vehicle is using...:D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I used a Jamar on a '69 Datsun 510 with great results. It had a Versallias (can't remember how to say it but much less spell it) 9" with disk brakes and worked really well.

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scout,
How did you like those turning brakes setup to PUSH, instead of pull? Does it take much effort? Looks like the handles were NO fun to climb over.

So how do you determine which size to get?
5/8" or 3/4"

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
i did check the other thread on this but...

how do the cutting brakes work while still having full function of the normal brake pedal? i dont really get it? would someone mind explaining the basic parts of this system? thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good point RudeZuk, you get to keep both hands on the wheel and they are alot cheaper too! Just mount one near each caliper.

CheROCKee,
You wouldn't use Master Cylinder while working the hand brake. It's basically 2 hand operated MC's, after a line splitter.
What's to get, you unlock the rearend, hold the inside rear tire with the hand brake, while you use the other three tires to pivot you.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
KingOf_Pain said:
Good point RudeZuk, you get to keep both hands on the wheel and they are alot cheaper too! Just mount one near each caliper.

CheROCKee,
You wouldn't use Master Cylinder while working the hand brake. It's basically 2 hand operated MC's, after a line splitter.
What's to get, you unlock the rearend, hold the inside rear tire with the hand brake, while you use the other three tires to pivot you.
I use the elec locks on each side in the rear(posted on the other thread about this).

Somebody on the POR board posted a very cool setup awhile ago,,,,, A single lever type steering brake mounted between the seats. It had micro switchs at the base of the lever that automatically unlock the diff when the steering brake is applied, then relocks the diff when the lever is released. Can't remember who it was,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
RudeZuk said:
what about using electric line locks??
cheaper, but much slower to lock unlock, and back again if you need to roll forward, or something in a comp. I used a line lock up front, and now put dual lever style cutting brakes in for the back. Have not used them much but they are quick and fun. I'll see how well they work next weekend at Calrocs.

Ian-

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
KrustyKruiser said:

cheaper, but much slower to lock unlock, and back again if you need to roll forward, or something in a comp. I used a line lock up front, and now put dual lever style cutting brakes in for the back. Have not used them much but they are quick and fun. I'll see how well they work next weekend at Calrocs.

Ian-
Im going to put those on, but i dont think ill have them in time for next weekend:(
but i will for sure on the next event!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Re: i did check the other thread on this but...

cheROCKee said:
how do the cutting brakes work while still having full function of the normal brake pedal? i dont really get it? would someone mind explaining the basic parts of this system? thanks in advance
I think I see where you and others get confused about the plumbing. don't think of the handles as a separate braking system. The handles are plumbed into the existing brake system. Essentially the handles replace the tee on your rear axle. In normal operation the fluid just passes through and is split evenly to both rear brakes. When you pull one of the levers it closes itself off from the rest of the system and applies pressure to one rear brake.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts