Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid people at the steel yards don't even know what it is.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Stupid people at the steel yards don't even know what it is.
These people WILL have it but they may be calling something different than what "we" call it. Very helpful customer service, you just have to talk to them. I wanted to get some 1.75" DOM but they called it something different.

Clicky, clicky...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, they probably called it seamless, because it wasn't DOM. Not sure how that works, but the tolerances are way different. I didn't try them. But for everything else i've bought Marmon is higher then all the other companies.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The guys at Colorado Iron and Metal in Ft. Collins know what those are (at least they did a couple years ago.)

·
Registered
393 Posts
did you ask if they called it chromoly. some places dont use like to say 4130

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
If I'm getting it in Grand Junction you shouldn't have any problem getting it as close as you are to Denver. (where all my chromo is coming from)

Call marmon keystone or EMJ, etc. If who ever you're talking to doesn't know what 4140 or 4130 is I'd be calling someone else.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
If I'm getting it in Grand Junction you shouldn't have any problem getting it as close as you are to Denver. (where all my chromo is coming from)

Ryan
You'd be surprised. Down here in Pueblo, CO (which is a city that was basicly created by the start of a steel mill)
I went to two of the larger steel shops and asked for some 1-1/2 HREW for a project I was doing. I got the deer in head light look and they had to go ask managers/owners to see if they understood what I needed. I had to go to Colo springs to get it as they were clueless and said they would have to call their suppliers in Denver to see if that kind of "special" tubing was even available. :shaking: Now that was from two different steel suppliers mind you. :confused: Sad knowing that they specialize in steel!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes they definately use different terms for same things. But they don't even know what their own termonology means. Of course i don't either i guess. Why does normalized cost more then annealed and not very available if normalized is air cooled from the same temperature that annealed is, but annealed has to be left in the furnace and brought down SLOWLY, should that cost more?

If i understand correctly I want as-rolled If i'm going to weld it, and someday heat treat it(post lottery), otherwise i'm wasting alot more money on the normalized and annealed that would need to be re-heat-treated after welding to be even close to as strong as what i paid for. If I wasn't going to treat it then i should perferably use normalized, or *settle* for annealed if i can't find or afford the normalized(which seems to be very hard to find, why is that?) And since i am planning on heat treating it then i should go with 4140 because its cheaper then 4130 and can be treated to be stronger even though its not as easy to weld. What are the specs for as-rolled, everything i see says its the same as normalized, that can't be right. Anybody priced sheet/plate lately?

So the new title for this thread is: Where do i get big parts heat treated, even close to colorado, for cheap.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Like 6 years ago, I bought some 1.75" OD x .375 4340 or 4130 or something CrMo, CREW, from a shop in Denver.... I can't for the hungover life of me remember the name of the place. Western Metals, maybe? It wasn't MarmonKeystone, Tube Service, or any of the other standard ones.

·
Vendor
4,164 Posts
EMJ and Tube Service both stock moly tube. Tube service definately has more in stock selection. With the way their pricing works, buy as much at one time as possible.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Ryerson-Tull in Denver might also carry chromoly, they carry a ton of specialty metals. Don't know if you can buy retail there, though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You'd be surprised. Down here in Pueblo, CO (which is a city that was basicly created by the start of a steel mill)
I went to two of the larger steel shops and asked for some 1-1/2 HREW for a project I was doing. I got the deer in head light look and they had to go ask managers/owners to see if they understood what I needed. I had to go to Colo springs to get it as they were clueless and said they would have to call their suppliers in Denver to see if that kind of "special" tubing was even available. :shaking: Now that was from two different steel suppliers mind you. :confused: Sad knowing that they specialize in steel!
hey cool, another pueblo, co member. I feel your pain, spekens pisses me off. "you mean pipe". No I dont fucking mean pipe I mean tube, dumb shits...

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm looking for sheets/plate. Called tube service they said "no flat, call ryerson and emj" Ryerson is probably one of those companies u want to send a mail-bomb too. The lady asked me what company i'm with(I work on commision tone), so i made up a name, i swear she tried to look it up and then just started giving me short answers. But that wasn't before she said, oh, i've never seen 4140 plate in anything thinner then 2". She went from I have to call to get pricing on 4130 plate to "thats not our strong point, i don't think we can order it in". EMJ is only slightly better. They can get it in, but its expensive as heck. Last week i called them and they said, we only deal in tube. Simply amazing

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
did you ask if they called it chromoly. some places dont use like to say 4130
And you should never buy from that place if they don't know what type of "chromoly" they sell.

I remember trying to find supplies in colorado (lived in summit county and boulder for a few years), it sucks.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Yea I had a hell of a time finding 4130 plate in Co, I ended up buying it through some place online that I cannot remember the fawking name of.
Tube services pricing does suck if you order less than 200' or so, after that they are pretty competetive.
For small amounts of random tube I have found that Chassisshop.com prices are not too bad.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
please let us know the online place when u sober up

·
Registered
10,513 Posts
They make 4140 in less than 2". Ive used 3/16 and 1/4 for skidplates. And YES I know it was 4140. Shop I used to work for had a analyzer.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They make 4140 in less than 2". Ive used 3/16 and 1/4 for skidplates. And YES I know it was 4140. Shop I used to work for had a analyzer.
i know, point is they didn't. Of course it probably doesn't help that most the sales people at steel yards are women

1 - 20 of 23 Posts