Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start a retro wheeling movement.
Who cares if I'm the only one, I'm still gonna do it.

What I want to do is find sources for old school style tires.
I don't rteally want NDT style.

Something like these.

7.00x15.00's

these can be had for 66 buck a piece.

any where else I can find old pizza cutter style tires?

Thanks

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
get some mudders or ground hawgs this way you can be old school and still run some bigger meats.
shat those 2 brands have been around a while

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm building a retro wheeling rig...

Big meats were 28"-30" tires back in the day:flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Man, it's like you READ my mind!!! :D

Since four-wheeling technology has pretty much conquered all normal terrain and has now moved on to an "extreme" level, there are two routes to go if you want to try something different:

* More extreme terrain- at some point, people will be driving 6-legged robotic walking-machines that can climb a sheer polished granite vertical cliff.

* Backing down the technology scale a bit, and travelling the existing trails in a vehicle that would be bit more challenging to drive.

Right now I've got a well-used set of 31"x11.5" Wranglers on my Cherokee until I get my axles and XML's on there, and to tell the truth, I think they look pretty cool. I grew up with "cool" tires being short and wide, whether on muscle-cars or four-wheelers. While I know pizza-cutters work better in many situations, and I just sold off a set of tall-n-skinnies, I'd be interested in how well I could wheel with these tires.

Taking a cue from the hot-rod set, wheelers could come up with a truck that *looks* like a vintage wheeler, say, a CJ-2A on NDT tires and plain steelies and leafs, or a Commando on 31"x11.5's on wagon-wheels, but take advantage of advances, such as siping or cleverly re-grooving the tires, modern tire compounds with old-style treads, using extra-flexy leafs suspensions and long-travel shocks painted to look stock, clean factory-looking paint-jobs that are actually scratch-resistant smooth Durabak, etc.

It seems that the function-over-form approach has brought the sport to a level of ability where we can spare to add back in some of the form. I know a good number of wheelers are already doing this, and have never really left behind the older technology, but it doesn't seem to have reached the new-product level the way that, say, American Racing Torque-Thrust wheels were reintroduced to the hot-rod market.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Monkeyboy said:

How about those tires, I think they were called "buckshot mudders" or something like that?
They looked cool, really RN. :flipoff2:

Jes

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I thought you already figured this out. ...

Come to shop put something that holds air on to my for sale Jeep take them away.

Again what you want are Gates Commanders, or something like that. The ones pictured are around I think I know of a set of four too. Come to the next CCJ meeting and I'll give you more names of old schoolers that probably still have them.
Ask Jeff's dad to show you the club/his "scrap book" It's good for all kinds of retro stuff.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
Monkeyboy said:

I think Armstrong Tru-Tracs were 31 X 11.50's. In the early 70's they were pretty much the trick setup.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve I am going to be at the meeting tonight if I get out of work in time.
I need to talk to you about those tires.

I think the rims I have are too wide for the tires you have.

Oh yah, and heres what I have to work with so far..

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Damn this thread brings back memories.

I remember mounting those killer L-78 Tru-Tracs on my Scout 800a.

I was invincible! That weekend I discovered quick sand. True story.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So who wants to join me in this Retro Wheeling Movement:flipoff2:

I know you guys have an old jeep or truck that is too nice to hack up and are looking for a good reason to get it running and driving.

I plan on running alot of the less traveled less extreme trails around here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Love the old high-hood. You're right on the same track I am on. My old 44 MB recently killed off the t84 3spd so I am moving way up into 1950's tech w/ a t90 and stouter d44 rear and 5.38s front and rear. I dig my funky old hunter rig the way it is and better yet, I can afford to drive it that way too. Sign me up for the "retro gang". :D
I am probably only a few more days worth of work to have my rig ready. The weather's gettin' better. Let me know where you're thinking of going. I'm in Applegate so Tahoe National Forrest is like (almost) my backyard. :D

·
Premium Member
46,291 Posts
Monkeyboy said:
So who wants to join me in this Retro Wheeling Movement:flipoff2:

I know you guys have an old jeep or truck that is too nice to hack up and are looking for a good reason to get it running and driving.

I plan on running alot of the less traveled less extreme trails around here.
I'm pretty close behind you. My 8 might end up with no lift and 32s.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool

Looks like we will bve able to get a little group together for some camping.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'll e-mail Weazer about this. We've done some parts trades and he'd prolly be interested. :D

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Denman makes all sorts of old school type tires.

How about Quiet Giants for the sand-dune crowd, or Norsmans, or the standard issue on almost every Jeep of the seventies, the Goodyear Tracker A/T. The old school rigs in Northern Michigan all ran Buckshot Mudders or Super Stags.

I used to have a whooped-out set of old style Goodyer Wrangler MT's that were 31x13.50 15's, way cool looking in a short and fat like me sorta way.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
DoubleBit said:
I'll e-mail Weazer about this. We've done some parts trades and he'd prolly be interested. :D
Sounds like fun but I dont know if my rig is retro enough anymore:D

Attachments

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Heres the tires you need

Attachments

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I plan on getting a set of 16" rims to get some of those non directionals later.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yah and um Weezer I think you fall into the extreme rig catagopry now:flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts