Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm thinking about installing OEM (or an alternative of comparable quality) 2 point mirror mounts on my 1995 F-350, to replace the flag mirrors that are currently on the truck. I did some calling around to local junkyards, but haven't found any so far.

Here's a photo of my truck with the current flag mirrors: https://i.imgur.com/VhHCYg2.jpg

And here's a photo of a 2 point mount with an Extend-A-Mirror Arm on it: https://i.imgur.com/q2xzxNs.jpg

Instead of the Extend-A-Mirror Arms, I have it in mind to install gooseneck mirror heads for hauling my truck camper.

I know the 2 point mounts are everywhere, so it's annoying that I haven't been able to find inexpensive ones at a junkyard. If I have to get them online, I want to save as much money as I can.

Anybody have suggestions on where to source these?

Also, does anybody know if the top 2 screws in the 2 point mount will fit without re-drilling?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The ones I put on my last truck that I bought on Amazon (Cipa brand) were as good as the ones I took off. I put the bigger mirror heads like you're talking about on them though and they shook like a motherfucker on the highway, couldn't see anything. If you want the big mirrors I'd suggest going all the way to 3 points.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Owning a fleet of 80's and 90's fords, I'll say this.
Flag mirrors suck
2 points suck just as much.
The 3 points are the only thing I would consider acceptable, but good luck getting through a 9' garage door

My buddy grabbed a set of west coasts off a 90's f-700, and they bolted up in place of the flag mirrors, and they work well, that's the route I would go.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I picked up the flat black cipa ones off amazon last year and they are starting to rust pretty good already on the steel parts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ended up getting a couple 2 point mirror mounts with Extend-A-Mirror Arms, and 1 gooseneck mirror, and 1 regular mirror from a junkyard a few towns over.

For now, I plan on trying one side with just the gooseneck mirror, and the other side with the regular mirror on the Extend-A-Mirror Arm. Any thoughts on which mirror is better for which side during this test? Once I decide which setup I like better, I may put the same mirrors on each side, or keep things as they are if it's working fine.

Also, I found a video on removing the flag mirrors from a 1995 truck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWWz0RfQCns but is there a guide, or any tips, advice, etc., on installing the 2 point mounts, especially since you need to drill 2 holes per door for the lower part of the mount? I want to get them installed right the first time without messing anything up. The only advice I've gotten so far is to use jack nuts for the lower part of the mount.

Thanks

PS, Jrod out of curiosity how do the 2 point mounts suck? From what I've read, some like them paired with the gooseneck mirrors for towing.

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
PS, Jrod out of curiosity how do the 2 point mounts suck? From what I've read, some like them paired with the gooseneck mirrors for towing.
They just aren't wide enough to see around wide trailers, atleast with my experience with them.

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
I had those extended mirror bases on my '86, and then mounted a 3.5" round convex on an arm that I bolted to the mirror mounting stud (the convex was in its own housing with mounting stud). It worked well. You need to find a convex mirror without too much convex though. The ones I had were most likely Grote. The cheap convex mirrors you get have way too much curve to them and you can't see shit out of them.
Travis..

·
Premium Member
4,096 Posts
Have you tried them with the gooseneck mirrors, or the Extend-A-Mirror Arms?
together? no.
But I towed with a 88' f-350 with 2 points for a long time, and currently own a 94' f350 dump truck with gooseneck mirrors(and convex spots), a 95' f350 with flag mirrors(and small stick on convex spots), and a superduty with tow mirrors.

I'd rank them superduty tows > goosenecks > 2 points > flags.

I can't speak to putting the goosenecks on 2 point mounts, but as long as they dont viberate too bad, I'd say they would be as good as the goosenecks on oem mounts.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I hate those OEM "flag" mirrors on that body style Ford.

Had them on a service truck and I always wanted to pull them off and bolt them about 8" more forward.... IE in front of the vent window.
No idea why they are put in the middle of the window, but it makes it where the mirrors are nearly useless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the recent replies.

I was wondering about which convex mirrors to add on. Is the Grote brand considered the best?

If you have any advice on convex mirrors, let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts