·
Registered
3,050 Posts
there called nut serts or kien serts.
fastenal, MSC and Mcmastercarr

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently bought some at McMaster Carr. They had these nice instalation tools that you use a pair of wrenches on for $29.95 for each size. I needed to do some 5/16 and 3/8 And the lever tools were over $100 for those sizes.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
My dad sells these, he works for AVK industrial products out of Valencia, CA (he's an East coast regional manager). They sell through distributors mostly and I don't know of any off the West coast, but AVK should be able to tell you. They are known as 'blind threaded captive inserts' and they are in everything from SUV roof racks to beverage-air fridges to replacement windows and cannondale bicycles. They are also in many of my personal projects thanks to my dad. :flipoff2:

I recommend AVK because it is an american made part and they are significantly better quality than the foreign crap that he competes with on a daily basis. AKA, the coatings on the foreign crap were weeping all over Cannondale frames and cause the paint to chip and bubble, my dad and AVK fixed that.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Does anyone know of a good quality gun to put these in? I have a cheap one i got at princess auto(similar to harbor freight) and it put in about 20 of the 1/4" ones then fell apart. I'd like to buy a decent one but i don't want to order it over the internet and find out it's junk when i get it. Also i don't use it very much so i don't want to spend a fortune on it either. Let me know if you know of a decent one.

EDIT: also I'm looking for the tool that looks like a rivet gun, not the one you use wrenches on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We buy ours through a company called Wurth, you can get them in stainless, plated carbon, aluminum. Our stainless ones you have to use a gun on. Fastenal also can get them. The gun we use is from Atlas Engineering and I think they run right at a grand.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i purchased my gun at northern tool. its made by surebonder and has served me well installing the inserts for rocker/corner guards. i buy my inserts from a local nut/bolt supplyer the 1/4-20's are $17 for 30

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
We buy ours through a company called Wurth, you can get them in stainless, plated carbon, aluminum. Our stainless ones you have to use a gun on. Fastenal also can get them. The gun we use is from Atlas Engineering and I think they run right at a grand.

Wurth and Atlas are both names I've heard from dad, so probably good places to get these.

Yeah the tools are expensive, but the wrench method is legit. Pops put the ones on my truck rail in this way because he didn't have the right size mandrel for them on hand. You could probably use an impact gun to help the process of collapsing the flange.

·
Registered
43 Posts
We also buy ones that have a hex shaped hole. We have to punch or laser the hole, but then there is almost 0% chance of spinning. On our OE parts for Toyota we have to use this. On all our aftermarket parts we just use the standard round ones. The only time we have ever had a problem is if a customer cross threads them on installation. Then sometimes getting them out they will start spinning. We also use them on a flat plate application and we put them in a press to squash them. You could easily do this on an H frame press, and is quicker than using the bolt method, although I know its most common for these to be used where you cant get to the back side.

Wurth rocks, I dont know of another company that spends over $100k, just to fly the models in for their yearly calender. And the calender is a full 24"x36" and doesnt have any days on it! Just black numbers down the side and sundays are in red print.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I got a box of them at Grainger. They cost me over $100, only because once I walked in I bought a bunch of other supplies since I was there.

Damn store.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Not hard to spend $100 at Grainger. I get 30% off there and still buy from McMaster Carr cuz it's cheaper. My employer switched suppliers two years ago from MC to Grainger and noone's happy about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Where do you get those? I would like to see them.
I will have to check but i think i get them from Wurth. They are a supply company from Germany. They have warehouses all over, I think their US headquarters are in Chicago. They dont make them, Ill look for a box at work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts