Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the sacramento area, and want to get some 2" tubing bent for a
"family cage" for my ramcharger. Where to go???? :confused:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Personally I would do it myself, you can get a hydraulic tubing bender with dies from Harbor Freight for cheap. When I say cheap, it would run about what a pro would charge you to bend all the pieces you would need for a cage.

Get friendly with someone who works at or owns a muffler shop, in a pinch they can make anything out of tubing you might want or need.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Traveller you need to do some homework on building cages. Harbor freight sells a PIPE bender, not a tube bender. You could use a pipe bender to bend tube if you modify it but it's no easy task.

The only muffler shops that can properly bend tube for a cage are the ones with a mandrel bender. A standard exhaust bender smashes the corners of the tube which weakens the bend considerably.

A good tube bender and one die will run you $500, thats the manual bending type.

I can't recommend a shop in your area, hopefully someone else can.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I agree with jstandle...you've got a heavy rig and I would not recommend skimping on a cage to save a few bucks.

I would think that any of the race shops geared toward the roundy-round cars would be set up for tube work, in addition to any of the serious 4x4 shops or desert race fab shops. Have you tried the yellow pages?

I did a Google and found a guy that looks to be doing this out of his garage, but I'm sure there are lot's more. Sorry I don't have any personal reccomendations...I bought a Pro-Tools 105 manual bender and love it. Good luck and build a sweet cage.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/aos/78826618.html

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, I'll look into those.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts