Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i bought a 20 gallon fuel cell with sending unit so i can to a link style suspention on the rear of my truck, I havent received the cell yet but where has every one else been mounting theres and also is there any way to hook the fuel cell up to the stock gas filler? Thanks.

·
Registered
594 Posts
What are the dimensions, how tall is it? It would seem that you only have 2 options, either in the back mounted to the floor or where the spare tire used to be. If you went to a link suspension in the rear you're not going to want it hanging down there behind the diff so put it in the bed.

I'm going to fabricate a 5"x 28" x 28" tank for dual tank set up where the spare was so you wont even be able to see it from the rear. I'll post pics as I build it. It'll hold just shy of 17 gallons.

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Is it a plastic cell? Do you have FI? Are you going to hook up all of the emission crap? If the answer is yes to all three of these questions, be prepared for the cell to collapse a bit from the vacuum caused by the closed system unless there are internal baffles. How do I know, it happened to me!!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I made the mistake of pulling my tank out and cutting 12" out of the frame, with 2 15 gal cells on order. Idea was to put it in the area between the two crossmembers in the rear. That's where I ended up putting them, but what a hassle. They filled the full thing, from frame rail to frame rail. Springs come up and hit the casing I made for it. Turned out to be way taller than advertised specs by the time you figure in the two vents on the top, and so wide the side sumps stick out past the frame on the sides. The sump and exit ports bring it way further down than anticipated and way wider than expected. My flatbed is almost 7 inches over the frame now. Hookups were also a major hassle. Nobody wanted to make gas lines, liability issues I guess.
Finally have all the leaks plugged, but finding an external fuel pump was a pain. And it makes so much noise I can't stand it. Giving serious considerations to scrapping the whole truck and starting over again w/o the frame cut and staying with stock fuel tank with the internal fuel pump.
I hope you end up happier with yours than I am.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok its a aluminum tank, yes its FI and yes im gonna keep what ever emmisons i have left but it shouldnt be that hard to find a way around it, and im using a external fuel pump from a 89 Ford E150 with a 351W. i thought about where the spare tire is but im bobbing the bed about 12" so that option is out, Im getting it tomarrow or thusday so i will have the measurements then. Thanks.

·
Registered
414 Posts
You using a stock or aftermarket sending unit? If stock, why not use the Toy FI pump mounted in the tank?

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i want to but cant, im gonna run a 0-90 ohm gm style sending unit so im gonna need a after market guage

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just curious as to why you can't? Is the tank too shallow, etc? I'm asking because I'm planning on doing the same thing soon, and don't want to use an aftermarket guage.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well its a brand new fuel cell and i really dont want to be cutting it up. Also the sending unit in it is 10x better than a toy sending unit.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm running the stock gauge coming out of my summit cell w/ gm type sending unit. Only difference is full is empty and vice versa. Calibration is fine. Just gp into the instrument panel and change the E to F & F to E and remember full is on the bottom.

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SWEET that is what i needed to know, that will save me a few bucks. Thanks you. Who says Newbies are dumb ? Oh thats right I do :flipoff2:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
OOP'S said:
Is it a plastic cell? Do you have FI? Are you going to hook up all of the emission crap? If the answer is yes to all three of these questions, be prepared for the cell to collapse a bit from the vacuum caused by the closed system unless there are internal baffles. How do I know, it happened to me!!!!!:rolleyes:

how did you remedy this and what cell did you get that had the areas to mount the toyota sending unit and pump assembly?? thanks:D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've never seen a cell that had a filler type opening. I think all of Summits had center flush mount twist off fillers. I was putting mine on a flatbed, so just cut a hole and put chrome fuel door covers from show catalog. See attached.

Attachments

·
Wicked Raciest !
17,734 Posts
Originally posted by Booger Weldz
how did you remedy this and what cell did you get that had the areas to mount the toyota sending unit and pump assembly?? thanks:D
My fuel cell is just a holding tank so it does not have a gauge. When I first put it on, I thought I would hook it up "Smog Legal" and connect the vent line into the other tank. Well by the time I got to JV, the Cell was all sucked in. So now, it is vented to the atmosphere. I also put a ball valve on the feed line because the vacuum from the main tank was sucking the gas out of the cell through the electric fuel pump (used to transfer gas from the holding tank to the main tank) and over filling the tank causing it to flood the charcoal canister and the engine.:D :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I think ive found a spot to mount the tank and keep my factory filler but what can i do to prevent the fuel cell from cracking caused by frame twist? pack it in foam, rubber bushings?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
boogs, on my fuel cell(10 gal aluminum) i reused the stock tank efi pump and all. i had to remove it from my stock tank, and cut out the threaded ring that is welded into the stock tank. i then measured and cut a hole in the fuel cell that would allow me to put the trheaded ring inside the tank, and lower the stock pump assembly into the holw with the flange sitting on the top, outside the tank. so basically, the stock flanges sandwich the fuel cell. my cell was also too shallow for the pump assembly, so i had to modify and bend it for the correct depth, in the back of the tank. confused yet?? lemme know if you gots questions. works great.........brad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts