Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on building a buggy and was wondering where you guys started?

I am thinking get the drivetrain (motor, tranny, tcase and axles) in place and just start bending tube, starting w/ motor and motor mounts first.

Feel free to post pics. :D

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Search fawkin newbie! (or oldie, whatever) :flipoff2:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184709&highlight=Where+to+start

Same exact question a while back.

I say pen and paper, still. Draw out what you want, how you want it, and whats going to go in it. Then figure out what do with making a frame or an existing frame. Take it to a general shape, and just start thinking of things you'll need to be there. All the brackets and everything.

A lot of it will just have to be plan and build as you go, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SR5Dave said:
Search fawkin newbie! (or oldie, whatever) :flipoff2:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=184709&highlight=Where+to+start

Same exact question a while back.

I say pen and paper, still. Draw out what you want, how you want it, and whats going to go in it. Then figure out what do with making a frame or an existing frame. Take it to a general shape, and just start thinking of things you'll need to be there. All the brackets and everything.

A lot of it will just have to be plan and build as you go, I'd imagine.
haha...I actaully remember that thread but everyone basically says "ahh just go w/ air ride's chassis baah"

:D

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Damn, Jason.

Just choose something with 4 wheels and drive it already. I have seen so many posts in the last two years of different things you want to do, but no complete rig (kettle meet pot ;) :flipoff2: ).

Just wheel something. If you start a buggy this winter, 2004 might just slip away with no rig.

SeanP

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SeanP said:
Damn, Jason.

Just choose something with 4 wheels and drive it already. I have seen so many posts in the last two years of different things you want to do, but no complete rig (kettle meet pot ;) :flipoff2: ).

Just wheel something. If you start a buggy this winter, 2004 might just slip away with no rig.

SeanP
Yea dude I know...heh :eek:

I am starting to gather parts for a buggy, and I am fairly certain I can get it done before the summer.

Is the cherokee done yet? :D

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
start here. then gather all parts (seats, axles, tires, motor, tranny, tcase) precariously stack all parts in desired final location. bend tube around :D

Attachments

·
Registered
9,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rudezuk said:

It isnt going to get done unless you actually do some work jason!!:flipoff2:

Buy some axles and go from there...
hey mang I am doing work. I'm still waiting on my %&#&$# bender from JD2. I canceled my order and ordered pro tools.

I had a D60 front and 14 bolt but I sold them because I made a decent amount of cash on the deal. Gotta stop doing that! :(

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Jason R said:

Yea dude I know...heh :eek:

I am starting to gather parts for a buggy, and I am fairly certain I can get it done before the summer.

Is the cherokee done yet? :D
Funny you should ask. I have a renewed enthusiasm now that Emma (daughter) is growing up strong.

I spent 4 hours in the garage tonight. Fixed leaky 14B hubs (I got weld slag on the spindles from welding on the disc brake brakets and this destroyed the seals). Dean dropped off some of his PVC/Vinyl beadlocks for the hummer rims so now it's take apart the hummer rims, get the mag runflats out, wrestle like hell to get the PVC in, rebolt all the rims.

My shiat will be done before end of january, including a cage. I have a bender on loan for the next several weeks. Never bent much tube b4, but I have some good ideas and the Tech Bible is a godsend.

nuff shit chat. I know that RudeZuk can build a full buggy in a month, but all the dumb little things can take a long time.

SeanP

·
thhhpptthh!
46,716 Posts
Dan Dibble said:
Sceep nice drawing. Whats the wheelbase??

Dan
right now its hovering around 120-126"

Bob Williams said:
Cool drawing. Can you post up some more angles?
sure. its all 3-d i can get any angle you want. Thats an older revision. Its lookin a bit more "complete" now.

Edit: heres the most current. sorry about the size dial-upers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts