Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my wifes father and I have never been close, but I would like to take him wheeling to get to know him better and let him know who I am and this "sport" I participate in. He is 71 and I just can't see taking him through the Box. He does have a love for the outdoors and owns two 1950-51 Jeepsters, one of which has been restored and converted to 4x4. I would love to take him in my XJ and do some moderate wheeling. I don't want to bang over tons of rocks, just some controlled stuff with an overnight at the end of a day.

Maybe Fordyce? Not sure about how much banging? I am a pretty good driver and my rig is set up well. He has some neck problems so any baja-ing is out of the question.

Any good recommendations for runs in NorCal? Barret might be cool, but not open til August.

thanks-if this is chit-chat you can move this.

SeanP

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I'd say fordyce is a good call, you can go in a good ways before anything is even moderately hairy at all and there are clearings to camp everywhere, start at the eagle lakes exit and decide as you go is its getting to tough for him....there is snow though?

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Take him to the HAMMERS! I know what you are thinking but there are a million boony bouncing kind of areas aqnd exploring that anyone can do and you don't have to wait next summer to go. We just ran Aftershock which was real easy but had opportunities to play if you wanted to show him what a built rig can do.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
scwafish said:
Take him to the HAMMERS! I know what you are thinking but there are a million boony bouncing kind of areas aqnd exploring that anyone can do and you don't have to wait next summer to go. We just ran Aftershock which was real easy but had opportunities to play if you wanted to show him what a built rig can do.
hammers is a litle far from northern cali:D.....

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
depending on how good of shape he is in, a really bumpy rocky trail may leave him very very sore the next day.

us young guys ;) don't realize how many muscles you use sitting in a rig bouncing and rocking all over the place...

might be worth running a milder, more scenic trail first to see how he holds up.

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Rev. Parsley said:
Search for info on the Slickrock Trail. It's in Calaveras co. near Bear Valley. Not hard core but still wheelin' .Theres snow right now though:( .

Slickrock trail pics
Right next to that is Deer Valley they have campgrounds with bathrooms and the trail is narrow and has exits along the way if he starts to hurt. There's a store that serves breakfast he'll probably want biscuits and gravy for breakfast. I wouldn't take a 71 year old man to Fordyce know matter how well my rig was built. If it breaks down he'll be stuck and that trail can be pretty long. You want something relaxing so you can talk and have cold refreshments. Deer Valley/Slick Rock it perfect IMO.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
if it where me, i would take him up here to the high lakes!

fun trails.. from easy to pretty hard, very pretty place and the roads are smooth intill you get to the big rocks, witch most are avoidible. just a few hours away:D

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Is Jergins closed yet? Probably. But if not it is kinda fun. Mostly Dirt but some rocks on the river at the end of the trail. Only thing is it is a day trip at most. Not very long but the outdoors is allways better than the indoors.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
IronBenderII said:
Barrett Lake
Barrett has been closed for about a month and a half and will not open again until next July/August. Also, I don't think this a good trail for him not to get bumped around too much.

If you want to do some mild wheeling just head in the Con thru Wentworth and camp before you get to Post Pile. It's easy wheelin but a very nice area with a lot of history.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for the responses, folks! :beer:

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Disco said:

Barrett has been closed for about a month and a half and will not open again until next July/August. Also, I don't think this a good trail for him not to get bumped around too much.

If you want to do some mild wheeling just head in the Con thru Wentworth and camp before you get to Post Pile. It's easy wheelin but a very nice area with a lot of history.
Hmmm, what is this Barret trail you speak of? ;)

·
Registered
918 Posts
barrett is an awesome choice. a little rough in spots for an old guy (but well worth it). if he's in poor shape prob. not first choice. hell hole trail is cool & calm for the most part. just a day trip to the back of the lake & overnight if you like. good test trail. it's between georgetown & foresthill. have fun & good luck whatever you choose.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts