Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy is getting a free 1980 Scout 2. I have always like the looks of the scouts but I'd wanted the smallest version whatever that is.

Is there a general faq like what the difference between the Scout 800 and Scout 2 and...

thx

I'm looking to replace my yota with something that can take the family of 4..

(Just when I get to reducing all the sheetmetal on my yota here I go looking for something with tons of it)

Deciding between a Scout and a Bronco, but my son's name is Scout so.. ;)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I might get run off for saying this, but here it goes. Upfront pricing on the Scout will be much CHEAPER than most any EB you'll find. That's not to say deals can't be found, they are just few and far between around these parts. I can find scouts all day aroung these parts for dirt cheap. EBs, :shaking: the owners seem to think they are worth their weight in gold. Don't get me wrong I like both. they are both excellent platforms to build a family hauler/ crawler. I just think you'll be money ahead in building a scout, seeing that the inital cost is substancially lower.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hillbilly said:
I might get run off for saying this, but here it goes. Upfront pricing on the Scout will be much CHEAPER than most any EB you'll find. That's not to say deals can't be found, they are just few and far between around these parts. I can find scouts all day aroung these parts for dirt cheap. EBs, :shaking: the owners seem to think they are worth their weight in gold. Don't get me wrong I like both. they are both excellent platforms to build a family hauler/ crawler. I just think you'll be money ahead in building a scout, seeing that the inital cost is substancially lower.
The Scout II's just look like they belong on 44's cause they are so big. But I am not familiar with the different models of Scouts, I'll check out that link above - thanks..

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I wish they had a better FAQ, I just want to know what the more desirable scout is, and the smaller the better I'd think. Are all Scouts basically the same size (besides the travelall and the trucks of course)?\

For my own reference and future nooobies:

64 Scout 80

I'll paste some other years and models here when I find em

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
From 1961 until 1980, the Scout 80, Scout 800, and Scout IIs are all 100" WB. The 80/800 are like the picture you posted. ~2" narrower than a SII, and a little shorter overall.

You might also find from 76-80 a stretched 118" WB SII.. same as a Scout II, just 18" added in the middle.

If you want to WHEEL a Scout 80 or 800 like your Toyota, then it doesn't really matter what you get, because you're going to throw away almost everything but the frame and the tub.

80/800 (the "smaller" version) never had power steering, never power brakes, never disc brakes, closed knuckle Dana 30 up front (at best), tapered Dana 44 rear (Dana 27s and flanged '44s possible, too). 80s all had a 152 4cyl, 800s had a 196-4/258-6/304V8. Vacuum wipers

Here's an example.. my wife's 1968 V8 Scout 800.

Originally eqiupped with a 266 V8, 3spd.

Now sports a Scout II 304V8, T19 4spd. Scout II grille. Electric wipers.

It's going to get Scout II Dana 44 disc brakes, and she's asking about power steering, too.

While I'm in there, it'll get some other type of leaf spring vs. stock.. so we'll be left with the 800 body and frame.. and not much else.

OTOH, find yourself a 75+ Scout II, and the options list can include:

2.62 Dana 300 (1980 only) or 2:1 Dana 20
Saginaw p/s
Power brakes
Disc Dana 44 front
flanged Dana 44 rear - 2.72 to 4.09 gears, TrashLok optional
Optional rollbar, soft-doors and door inserts
Cab-top (front seat), Terra top (a little more interior room), Traveltop (full length steel), bikini top, and full length soft-top. (Also the Traveler full length 'glass top with rear hatch, only on 118" WB)
Air Conditioning
Automatic (TF727) or stick (3spd, close 4spd, wide T19 4spd 6.32)
196-4, 258-6, 304/345V8s (392V8 easy swap)
Sliding side glass
Rear seat is a "fold n' tumble" against the back of the front seats.

IMO, a Scout II starts with some hardware a guy can work with.

Not to say you won't end up swapping in coiled & linked 60s, a BBC, and lots of body alterations.. at which point, the 800 might not be so bad. :D

My '77, cut fenders, 4" lift, 36" TSLs with a 345/wideT19/stock 4.09 D44s/ps/pn

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very informative! Thanks!

I dig the 80/800, since it doesn't have quite the gear in it maybe I would just take the stuff from my truck and put it in that and I'd be set.. sorta.. Got a pic of the back seat of that 80?

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
"If you want to WHEEL a Scout 80 or 800 like your Toyota, then it doesn't really matter what you get, because you're going to throw away almost everything but the frame and the tub."

Jeez, When you put it like that, what the hell am I doing with my 800! Oh yeah, swapped SII front and rear, motor, steering, brakes...

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Brandon, bleieve it or not, but the IH section was the first to have a weekly topic discussion. I searched on Daily AND Topic in the tile and got this:
Link (Not sure if this link will last long since it seems as though searches expire now? :confused: )

Anyways, I still have my 64 and I can verify that you need to throw away 99% of the items in it for it to be reliable. Doesn't sound like an issue though if you are going to swap your Toy parts into it.

-Joel

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the link, gonna go read it now :)

Yep, I'll be swappin just about all of it out - mostly looking to get a back seat for my two kids and pre-smog is a plus even though my 5.0 in my truck smogs just fine it's still a PIA.

Any 5.0 Scout's out there with write ups to check out? I'll have a 5.0/NP435/dual toy cases/front HP D44/Rear 35 spline disk D60 to drop in there. I wouldn't mind going to the 300 but I gotta keep costs down and the setup works fine for me now. Anything with the above combo not gonna work that you might know of? I figure the wheelbase is real close to my yota so it should all be fine. Not sure what the stock axle width of a Scout is but it seems that my 62" WMS to WMS axles should be fine. I'll be runnin my 37's too..

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Brandon said:
thanks for the link, gonna go read it now :)

Yep, I'll be swappin just about all of it out - mostly looking to get a back seat for my two kids and pre-smog is a plus even though my 5.0 in my truck smogs just fine it's still a PIA.

Any 5.0 Scout's out there with write ups to check out? I'll have a 5.0/NP435/dual toy cases/front HP D44/Rear 35 spline disk D60 to drop in there. I wouldn't mind going to the 300 but I gotta keep costs down and the setup works fine for me now. Anything with the above combo not gonna work that you might know of? I figure the wheelbase is real close to my yota so it should all be fine. Not sure what the stock axle width of a Scout is but it seems that my 62" WMS to WMS axles should be fine. I'll be runnin my 37's too..
First time I built up my Scout, I went with a waggy 4 front, 5 lug'd it and ran 36 tsl's with Waggy springs. It rubbed on the springs while turning. (15 x 10 approx 3.5" bs wheels). So, when I had my 60 built I asked for 64" (& got 65"- long story). This cleared my 38.5's with same bs wheels. Keep in mind that Scout 80 & 800's frames are approx 32" on center but the factory 1.75" springs are offset on the frame to narrow them up. I'm sure you could cheat 2.5" springs inwards to get a 31ish spring center. Other than that, I don't see any reason why the rest of your set won't work great. As for back seats, they are just two metal brackets that are practically made of angle iron that fit on the wheel wells. Plywood was then attached and then upholstered. I'd be real easy to make your own seat vs trying to find one since they are kind of rare.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Here's my free scout :D

I cant believe I scored this one. Original owner and his son put a 350 in it and it ran 5 or so years ago until his son moved away. Its been sitting for that long, so I dont know if the motor runs yet. I just brought it home tonight.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
LOL. There is every species known to man in there.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
LT1SCOUT said:
my 73 originally a 258 I-6 AMC has factory 4.27's
I'd overlooked that for years.. but there it is.. 4.27 through '74 only.

Funny, 71-74 you could get 3.31/3.73/4.09/4.27, and after '73, 4.09

75-79 it was 3.07/3.54/4.09

in '80 they went to 2.72/3.31/3.54/3.73 ratios

No wonder 3.73 disc '44 fronts are hard to come by. Either '74, or 1980..

·
IH/Rover Moderator
20,917 Posts
tsm1mt said:
No wonder 3.73 disc '44 fronts are hard to come by. Either '74, or 1980..
My 78 had 3.73s :flipoff2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts