Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I'll start with what I have.
I've got what started as a YJ TBI350, ax15, np231 crawl box, d300
here's the issue. I originally set this thing up SUA with a waggy 44 front and scout 44 rear 5.13's with a welded rear and limited slip front on 36" swampers but that was before the small block and crawl box. I just recently starting setting this jeep up SOA and since I also have a 78 high pinion D60 and a D70 rear, hummer 8 bolts, 37"mtrs, and a set of 38" swampers I've been thinking about using the 1 tons because of the torque with the crawl box. a few of my buddies tell me I'm paranoid and stick with the 44's and a few others tell me the tons are the way to go. I'll have to regear the tons but I can repurpose the built 44's into my MJ project if I go tons in the YJ. I know I'll be losing some ground clearance going with the tons but in my mind the added axle strength out weighs the lost clearance

so am I being paranoid or am I right thinking the tons are the better setup

·
Registered
396 Posts
I ran stock axles in my Waggy with a spooled rear and 36's, wheeled, drove pavement, and on occasion drove like an asshole with my built 360. I know that you are probably putting out a little bit more HP than I was, but I also swapped in a granny geared Np435 and had a 73something to 1 final drive in 1st/4lo. I never had a problem but I always felt I would twist a rear shaft or bend the tubes someday.

I will be running the same rear 44 and a 79 waggy front in my CJ which is considerably lighter and on 37's. I bought Dutchman 4140 shafts for the rear and plan on sleeving and/or trussing the rear axle. I'd say you'll be fine and if/when you do break then do the upgrade... My .02.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Where the tons going to go under your mj?
What ones going to be used more or beaten on more?
I have seen 44 stuff last just fine behind a 350 with a 203/205 however the same people carried lots of spare parts.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no the MJ wasn't gonna get 1 tons but if I wanted to I could do tons in the MJ also

I've got 3 sets of 1 ton axles.
HP60/70 (3.54)
LP60/14bFF (4.10)
LP60/14bF (4.56) (under my other YJ)
and I've got that set of D44's

the MJ right now is 2wd and has a crappy D35 rear axle. the original plan for it was XJ axles (hp30/8.25) or an 8.8 rear. but this way I use axles I already own and everything gets beefier axles than originally planned.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Imop since you sound like you want to build both rigs correcctly id throw the 44s under the mj should be plenty strong enough even if you do a stroker motor.
Yj should get hp60/and either 14ff or 70. Going to have to regear anyways and you can shave the 14 and have close to the same clearance as your 44s.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that's exactly what I was thinking. probably go back with the 5.13:1 like I did in the 44's.

this will give me 140:1 in the YJ in 1st low-low 51.28:1 in 1st high-low

and the MJ will be 51.28:1 because I'm not doing a crawl box in it. if I sprung for the lomax 4:1 I'd be a 78.59:1

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yeah I saw those on ballistics site but I know ballistic has a history around here so I posted the TMR version so I didn't start a shit storm....
since the 60 doesn't need the ring gear machined I can do that one later on without much extra cost. the 14 bolt if I'm going to do it needs done before the gearset goes in. their prices on the machined gear sets are pretty fair too

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ecgs does 14b ring gears as well I believe. Iv purchased from them a couole times and they are great. Or get a grinder and do it yourself with the axle installed and on jackstands put the jeep in gear lol
Heard of a couple people doing it that way.

I have heard good and bad about ballistic I dont have personal experience though just that they do have some trick parts.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have ordered from them a couple times without any issues ever. But some people have had major issuesm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts