Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
7,229 Posts
OK, was looking at the 65 class sears platinum battery. Still spendy...
$50K+ truck and complaining about a $400 investment in batteries. :shaking:

The sears diehard platinum are hands down the best value.

Upgrade the alternator, the charge wire, and never touch the POS again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Well, in my world, five hundred bucks is still $500 regardless of which one of my toys needs it.

That said, if after careful research the truck needs $500 in batteries, so be it, it'll get them.
On the other hand, if another battery is half the cost and will do just as good a job, well, maybe I'll save the $250 for something else.
Then to consider the 31 group. Clearly more punch in the package. There's some major mods that would have to go on to get this done, though I'm no stranger to major mods...

At this time I'm considering getting a decent group 65 battery(s) ($125 range) and then later on come up with new brackets for the SD to hold the 31 batts. Then again, my batts are still working...so maybe I'll just hold off on the whole thing until I can make some 31 mounting.

hmmmm

edit, truck has dual alts now and is a 2012. Upgrade the wire still apply?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the sears platinum a couple days ago. $523 ouch

Fit is a little smaller than the motorcraft batteries are, but w/ the straps tight it seems to fit fine.

They 'feel' quite a bit heavier. To my arm scale anyway.

Haven't run the winch yet to test it out. Soon.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Got the sears platinum a couple days ago. $523 ouch

Fit is a little smaller than the motorcraft batteries are, but w/ the straps tight it seems to fit fine.

They 'feel' quite a bit heavier. To my arm scale anyway.

Haven't run the winch yet to test it out. Soon.

Thanks for the advise.
It's unfortunate you waited a month too long to jump aboard that sinking ship. I own several Platinum Diehards and they are no more once existing stock is gone and they are being replaced by their "Advanced Gold" which has a lesser warranty and a lower price point.

A sad day indeed.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
It's unfortunate you waited a month too long to jump aboard that sinking ship. I own several Platinum Diehards and they are no more once existing stock is gone and they are being replaced by their "Advanced Gold" which has a lesser warranty and a lower price point.

A sad day indeed.
Say it ain't so:(

·
Premium Member
8,698 Posts
Say it ain't so:(
Yes and there is something else going on with them. The reason I was in there is Kat got a piece of blanket caught in the rear hatch on the Cherokee and it didn't turn the dome light off. I got to it the next morning and it was dead.

I have a nice digital Schumacher smart charger with an AGM setting on it and tried all of them including a engine start burst for several minutes to try and get it to start taking a charge. That didn't work so I pulled the dual battery diesel up and used the #2 booster cable system I built to try and give it a jump at the same time the charger was on. Still nothing, so I took a group 41 Bosch AGM I have that is new, put it in parallel with the Diehard and tried it that way.

No matter what I tried, the charger kept showing it was a bad battery.

Finally gave up and took it in for warranty only to get my shiny new Advanced Gold replacement but it was pointed out to me that I still get the original warranty.

The something else that is going on is the battery was about a year old, this is the first time it has been run down and it only set overnight which is typically not enough to kill an AGM. Not my normal experience with these.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts