Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of threads but still havent figured out which one to buy. JD2, Pro Tools, or what ever. Which bender is the best for its price? 4 of us are going in on the bender together would like total cost to be under 1,000 :confused:

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
nasvik said:
If you couldn't find consensus in the search results, why do you think you'll get it now?

Paul
agreed, unfortunatly...

and splitting it? i hope no one get's pissy about it and decides they want it at they're house and uses it for extra thing's etc...

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
The recent post I have read about benders, it seems alot of folks are not happy with JD-2 benders. Looks like there dies and pins are crap.
I think the masses will steer towards the pro tolls benders. It seems the dies are better quality, and don't gouge/gall the tubes during bending.
Have'nt heard much about the M-tech bender, so not sure about that one.
Pro tools is most likely the way I'm going!:skull:

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
mtech and van-sant sell jd2.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
i have a JD 2 and am totally happy, the only thing i was dissapointed in is that the protools one comes with a rust prevention coat and the JD does not, but it's no big deal. i have no experiance with the pro tools stuff, but have none of the mentioned die problems with mine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I think you know which bender to buy, based on what's been written on this bulletin- I think the real question is, do you really want to split the use of your bender between 3 of your soon to be enemies? Cause that's what happens when friends try to share- it don't work.

If you're serious about building stuff and have a welder, grinder, etc. and a decent place to work, maybe you should consider being selfish, saving up, buying one for yourself ( the pro-tools model 105, I beleive, is waayy under $1000 even with a few dies),and keeping your friends as friends instead of partners. If they don't want to pay you to do work for them, they never had the money in the first place, or they weren't that good of friends, IMO.

Just a thought:D

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
I'm also going in with a friend , only 1, and getting a bender and we are going with the Pro Tools. So were can we get the best price on the Pro Tools 105 and die's ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys, in our town a few people have the JD2, so we were leaning towards it, in case we need to borrow a die we dont have. But after reading some of the last threads about the JD2 I'm a little concerned. The people that have them around here havent said they had any gouging problems, but mabey they arent as picky as some people. If I put money towards a good bender the SOB better not gouge my pipe or it will be sent back!
My buddies and I are all in different stages of our projects and we get along good so shouldnt be any coflict HOPEFULLY!!:p :flipoff2:

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I HAVE A JD2 AND LOVE IT .....IT HAS HYDRO NOW AND IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE TOYS.:D SEARCH MY NAME AND YOU WILL FIND PICS OF IT.ANYWAYS THE PART OF THE DIE THAT GETS FAWKED IS A CONSUMABLE PART OF THE DIE.JD2 HAS INSERTS AND OTHERS YOU HAVE TO BUY THE WHOLE PIECE. THEY LAST A LONG TIME IF YOU USE IT WITH LUBE.IVE USED GREESE WD40,LIQUID WRENCH,MOTOR OIL........I AM USING LIQUID WRENCH CURRENTLY CAUSE THE SQUIRTY TUBE THINGY AND IT WIPES OFF EASILY.GREESE I THINK WORKS THE BEST BUT MESSY.IF YOU KEEP THE DIE CLEAR OF ROUGH SPOTS YOU SHOULD BE COOL.I JUST TAKE THEM DOWN WITH A ROUND SANDIND DRUM. :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the hydro from JD2 worth te money in your opinion? how easy is it use manually like say 1.75 OD with .120 wall at 180 degrees

·
Registered
32,458 Posts
nova said:
Is the hydro from JD2 worth te money in your opinion? how easy is it use manually like say 1.75 OD with .120 wall at 180 degrees
pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
THE HYDRO FROM THEM IS NOT WORTH IT....YOU CAN PIECE TOGETHER A BETTER SETUP YOURSELF FOR A LOT LESS$$.....

BENDING .120 WALL ISNT BAD IF YOUR JUST DOING A FEW BENDS AT A TIME. IF YOUR GANNA USE IT A LOT ITS WORTH GOING HYDRO....I HAVE 1400$$ INTO MY BENDER WITH ONE DIE.IT WILL BEND A PRERFECT 90 IN ABOUT 20 SECONDS AND NO MEASURING THE DEGREE REQUIRED:D

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Bender Choice - up to U

Sharing.... I lost who at the time was my best friend over a damn bender, maybe it said somethign about our friendship but who knows, basically he bought the bender and me some dies. I was all set to bend my first cage that weekend and he says "ill be over to pick up my bender" saying his dad need to barrow it, turns out he loaned it to friends #3 who he apparenty was better firends with.

I guess i misunderstood the terms of our arangment. I sold my dies and later on bought my own pro tool 105 bender, my advice would be to put some general terms in writing, if yall are good friends like you say it should be easy to write it out... Especially who, what, when the bender is parked, and who what, when the rest can bend. Is it to be used to sell crap (oh ya when word spreads of the new perchase the temptation of "how much to do xyz" is there...

Good luck !

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nova just needs to do a few bends with it, the rest of the time it will be in my garage for safe keeping! Or in case a buddy needs to borrow it---------NOVA you got that $200.00 yet for your share!

hehehehehe:D :D :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Took the bull by the horns and made a decision:

Pro Tools Heavy Duty 105/W degree ring
1.75" 240Deg
1.25" 240Deg
1" Square 240Deg

Ships Friday ordered 5 minutes ago!!! They allowed C.O.D.

JD2 would ship in three weeks if placed today!!! Credit Card or Cash!!!

If anyone Pisses and Moans that they are getting screwed they get there portion bought out!!!!

You know what this means Nova, we owe El Taco $283.00 worth of Fabrication on the YJ!!! Spring over D60's here we come!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Miller Man or is that BOY? You'll be to busy drinking beer or playing on your computer to build anything. Glad we made our minds up any how on wich to buy. By the way El Taco can just watch us build ours then he'll know how not to build his.:D :flipoff2:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts