Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am in the process of doing a 3 link on the rear and a 4 link on the front of my buddie jai birds rig. it will have a pu cab and a wheel base strech of 35". but i am not sure of which coils to use. i have heard of the tracker coils and some of the mercedes are supposed to be real long and soft. but i am trying to save some time here. and pick some minds. later mike

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
ford aerostar coils are what i would try first if i was doing it. i've only seen them on an old willies with toy axles. it flexed like a slinky. there are tons of them at the p-n-p. they are really soft and cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
poppycock said:
i've only seen them on an old willies with toy axles.
you wouldn't have a pic or link of that willies would ya?

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Why build a rig around any boneyard coil? If the spring rate doesnt turn out to be what you want then you are fawked. By some cheap circle track ones and then if the rate sucks you can change the coils for $70.00. I have seen several rigs on Aerostar coils and IMHO they are too soft.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have stock XJ coils on mine (and clear 35s) - front and rear - they work well, but it is a trail only rig - I think that they'd be pretty scary at speed without swaybars (which, of course, I don't have).

Jackie

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I rode in a Zuki a few weeks back with cut down Aerostar coils in the rear and rear TJ coils up front.

Yea, sounded weird to me to.
It worked out really well though, the front flexed well, and ther tires never left the gound when it got twisted up.

Oh, it was on stock axles to.

had a partialy trianglated 4-link rear(upper links) and radius arm front.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Stock Tj's and Aerostar coils work well like has been pointed out, the other route would be QA1 coils from summit in the 14" Hieght and 150-165# range

1 - 11 of 11 Posts