Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I will be running Mod class at KOH and just got my TH400 built. I need a good cooler with the fan. Want to keep it cold, around 180-185. What's my best option without breaking the bank? Hopefully with an accompanying fan.

Also, I've got a JW Ultra bell on the way. Still think I need a scatter shield? How many guys use those in desert rock racing?

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
So I will be running Mod class at KOH and just got my TH400 built. I need a good cooler with the fan. Want to keep it cold, around 180-185. What's my best option without breaking the bank? Hopefully with an accompanying fan.

Also, I've got a JW Ultra bell on the way. Still think I need a scatter shield? How many guys use those in desert rock racing?
There are a couple vendors on ebay selling aluminum hydraulic oil coolers that are a plate style and look/work just like the higher end ones. Only problem is they come in like a AN 10 to 12 size but this for me works as it makes sure the cooler is not the restriction.
My 11x14 one cost me like 35 bucks.
Find a SPAL fan the same width while you are on ebay and make a simple shroud.

While you are at it you may want to get a power steering cooler as well.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your saying I should forget the high priced stuff and go with the generic stuff. Any opinions on reliability? I can't have this fail.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
So your saying I should forget the high priced stuff and go with the generic stuff. Any opinions on reliability? I can't have this fail.
Only after you compair materials and construction.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looking for specifics. Something you've had on a rig with success.

·
Registered
8,900 Posts
I don't race, but I have a 700R4 with the largest plate cooler I could find, with an 11" spal fan. It stays 160-180 almost all the time. The only time it got really hot (220) is when I was playing on the dunes on the way to Clawhammer. It never gets over 190 on the east coast. I think I paid about $100 for the cooler and $60 for the fan. The good thing about the plate coolers is they are cheap enough to double up and run in series if you need more cooling. They are 1/2" NPT, adapters to -6 are about $6 each.

Airflow is important. The biggest bling cooler is useless if you have it mounted underneath the floor or against a firewall panel with no fresh air moving over it. Put it out back and up high in direct airflow.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
We tried the cheapy route a while ago with a pair of tube and fine coolers and bolt on fans and even with the stock LS2 they couldn't keep a handle on temps in the sand washes without lifting hevay on the throttle.

Even if you're running a tight converter you will tax the ever loving hell out of your tranny cooling system.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
i have searched like crazy and havnt found any cheap coolers i trust. id also love to hear some builders input on if they have found any cheap alternatives.

best bang for the buck i have found but it is still very expensive is the fluidyne enduro coolers. they are huge and bit cheaper than a griffin. anyone i have read or talked to that runs them love them. so far unless i find a better alternative $$$ this is the way i am going. To me trans cooling is one area that shouldnt be skimped on.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, keep it rollin. Thanks. I'm thinking I really need to pony up and go with the highend stuff. I'll be sure to check out that fluidyne set up, cbr, ron davis and griffin. any others I'm missing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts