Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the deal... I have the soa, cut and turn & the pinions are pointed at the t-case (front and rear).
I need to get me some salvage cv drivelines for my fj40, did the pirate & Ih8mud search - also tried post in mini board.

still have these questions (lets put results in FAQ):
1. what are the best model / years for a cv driveline donor
- present thoughts (from search) are 84 and 85 mini's but 86 and later front cv's will work if you open them up.
- seems that just the front driveshaft is a cv on these mini years

2. what are the stock lengths for these drivelines?

3. will the t-case side just bolt up (I think pinion side needs to be re-drilled).

4. will they provide me with some travel or should I find a shaft donor for that as well at the salvage yard?

5. Is this the best donor to use -- also read some about FJ60 shafts?

thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did similar things to my rear-end and I was told that a front drive shaft out of a wagon (I'm assuming FJ60) fits in the rear. I haven't finished it yet though, so I can't say for certain it fits.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What year is your FJ40? Do you have the stock square flange or an aftermarket round flange. The CV shaft from both the mini and FJ60 will not fit with the early (3 speed) FJ40 flange bolt pattern. Depending on your diffs, you may need to change flanges to a later 4 speed pattern.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
The front CV shaft pattern from a 84 mini matches the drum brake pattern from a 4-speed 74+ t-case. The pinion end does not. I have not measured length, but my rear shaft (as done by Jesse at High Angle) runs the minitruck CV mated to the stock Cruiser slip and pinion yoke. Nice shaft :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, thought the signature was enough... the 40 is a march 73 and I do have the stock 3 speed t-case.
I have pinions from Randy's R&P so the flange at the pinion is round and I believe will fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts