Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am rebuilding my 78 AMC 304 and need a little help. First can you refer me to some good threads on which efi carburetors to consider. Second, some threads on cams to use.

So a little about my jeep. '78 cj7 with a 304 v8, Th400, D20, and D44' s front/rear, thanks to a donor wagoneer.

How I use it? Daily driver, running trails, some crawling and overlanding. Basically all surfaces pavement, snow, sand, rocks, mud, and manure.

Why don't I just swap a 350 into it, well good question. I have 3 nephews that don't which end of the screwdriver to use. So, I'm going to take the opportunity to show them how to rebuild a motor and other things on the jeep. Plus my first jeep had a 304 and I have a spare 304.

I just want a few updates and my searches are not being fruitful.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Holley sniper injection is nice and super simple. I recently put one on an old 360 in a 68 ford. Plug and play, self tunes and everything.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just installed a Holley sniper with the full hyper spark system, cd box, distributer & coil. on a newly rebuilt chev 350 in a 1980 jeep cj7. It's not out of the garage yet but it seems to be an excellent system so far. It was very easy to install and it controls everything. I put the chev 350 in this jeep 30 years ago because rebuilding the 304 was big $$ back then. Good luck on your rebuild!

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
41,738 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm torn between Holly and edelbrock. Leaning towards Holly but I like the edelbrock matching cam.
With the Edelbrock EFI, their cam, springs and their old Shorty headers, my CJ7 made 200 rear wheel horsepower. 134ish stock.

A lot of that was cam and valve springs because the stock valve train floated at like 4000rpm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was 134 at the wheel or Crank or advertised? I was thinking in the 70's, hp was measured at the Crank, so rear wheel was even less. I just don't remember.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts