Pirate 4x4 banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
16" Perma Cool pullin 2950cfm and only 10a in my cj7 with sbc.

·
Registered
558 Posts
A $20-$50 Ford Taurus fan will work well after you wire it up to 100-150 bucks worth of relays, controal switches, toggles, zip-ties, and 50 or so feet of wire and fuses, "that's even if you can actually fit all this crap in your engine compartment". Just don't forget to turn it off before you hit the deep water or mud...and try to remember to turn it back on after you're through all that shit.
Everybody'll try to tell ya that the Taurus fan is the cheep way to go, but after you add up all the necessary componentry you need to make it work efficiently, along with all the extra fail points and amp draw you just added...you're better off with a mechanical flex-a-lite and a shroud...than just start removing sheet metal if it still gets to hot...ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
i have like 35 bucks in my taurus fan? 3 positions swith for auto off and man on. then i got the big relay from 12 voltguy for like 20. then a breaker button so if it ever pops i dont have to depend on another fuse. sonme temp prob but dont remember. i think i did a write up and wiring diagram in my build if you look.

mine works great. same fan all my mustang 5.0 friends use

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
I got mine from AA, seems to work fine so far...

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Give me some more information about the Taurus fan? what are thr Taurus?

years of manufacture??

I cantry and buy two from a yard though the phone and hev them ship it to me.

Thanks
eduardo
Ooops yeah, probably not a lot of Ford Taurus in Spain...

A $20-$50 Ford Taurus fan will work well after you wire it up to 100-150 bucks worth of relays, ...ask me how I know.
OK how do you know? You're a dumbass and forgot to turn your fan on? $150 of relays?

i have like 35 bucks in my taurus fan? 3 positions swith for auto off and man on. then i got the big relay from 12 voltguy for like 20. then a breaker button so if it ever pops i dont have to depend on another fuse. sonme temp prob but dont remember. i think i did a write up and wiring diagram in my build if you look.
mine works great. same fan all my mustang 5.0 friends use
I'm with Mean Green, DPDT 3 position switch Auto (LO)-OFF-Manual (HI)cheapo $13 temp switch with a $5 30 amp relay on the low side and a 70 amp relay from 12volt guy on the manual high speed side. Cheap and Simple.

Oh yeah don't forget the 2 LED lights to remind you that the fan is on :flipoff2:

·
Registered
558 Posts
I actually did all this shit...that's how I know. How bout you??
Hayden Imperial fan controal switch, Bosch 75 amp relay, three way toggle, make some mounting brackets, pack of zip ties, pack of radiator straps, wire loom, 25ft of "red, black, green, and yellow" wire of various gauges, fuses, connectors, tape, than finally some trimming of the Taurus fan shroud to make it fit...and WHALA...you've got yourself an over complicated pile of fuck jammed in your engine compartment!
Other than all the necessary shit you need to actually use the fan...they do keep your motor cool, but If your telling me you've never forgot to turn back on your fan...than you've never installed one on your vehicle. Now, quit giving advice on shit you've got ZERO experience with, and go bolt up some street locks. :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Any fan will work, the cheaper eBay fans work just as well as the expensive ones. I highly recommend pushers on the front of the radiator... Because inside the engine bay... Electric fans get really hot, and the thermal shut off feature shuts them down. I've had great success with my current pusher set up and think everybody should add one or two. Get one that fits the size of your rad... And mount it good. People have said to me "those fans are blocking the air to your radiator!" I can't help but chuckle....

They ARE the air. I have mine hooked up manually, if u don't think you'll remember... Buy a thermo controller. Either way, they'll help your overheating issues. That & VENT your hood!!!!

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
I actually did all this shit...that's how I know. How bout you??
Hayden Imperial fan controal switch, Bosch 75 amp relay, three way toggle, make some mounting brackets, pack of zip ties, pack of radiator straps, wire loom, 25ft of "red, black, green, and yellow" wire of various gauges, fuses, connectors, tape, than finally some trimming of the Taurus fan shroud to make it fit...and WHALA...you've got yourself an over complicated pile of fuck jammed in your engine compartment!
Other than all the necessary shit you need to actually use the fan...they do keep your motor cool, but If your telling me you've never forgot to turn back on your fan...than you've never installed one on your vehicle. Now, quit giving advice on shit you've got ZERO experience with, and go bolt up some street locks. :flipoff2:
Sounds like you over-did it. I used a fog lamp relay for the low speed and had my ECM control it (a $15 thermostatic switch would have done the same thing if I wasn't already using the ECM to switch the fan), and used a $20 snow plow relay to control the high speed via $5 switch. I think I spent $50 or so to run it (fan was free, snow plow relay was $20, a switch and some connectors). I ran it trouble-free for 3 seasons like that and sold it now another guy down in FL is running it daily in his YJ 350 swap.

You failed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Sounds like you over-did it. I used a fog lamp relay for the low speed and had my ECM control it (a $15 thermostatic switch would have done the same thing if I wasn't already using the ECM to switch the fan), and used a $20 snow plow relay to control the high speed via $5 switch. I think I spent $50 or so to run it (fan was free, snow plow relay was $20, a switch and some connectors). I ran it trouble-free for 3 seasons like that and sold it now another guy down in FL is running it daily in his YJ 350 swap.

You failed.
Fail, fuckn' nothn'.
Yeah well, I built mine with a ballpien hammer, turkey baster, and a wok......whatever. Everybody's got a better story than you, about how half assed they can cobble together a hunk of shit. Mine was put together the right way, and other than forgetting to turn it back on after a few deep water crossings, mine worked just fine. I ran it off the thermostat with a 3-way manual override.
What I didn't like is: (a high speed PLASTIC fan)...(the fact that if a fuckn' fuse blew ,which it did, I wouldn't have a fan and most likely wouldn't know it until my temp gauge spiked)...(the tight tolerances in the engine compartment)...(and ,once again, all the extra relays, fuses, and wires it takes to run the fan and all the retarded amp draw).
I wheel the shit out of my rig and keeping it simple is better. Over complicating it with a plastic fan is fuckn stupid. You can get the same cooling result with a shroud, good mechanical fan, and some venting. I finally sold my entire fan setup to someone just like you, someone who just got done reading an article all about it and didn't need it, but had to have it. In fact, if I come across any more, I'll send em your way. Wouldn't it be super cool if you had like 5 or 6 of these things wired up all over your rig....yeah... sweet!
Enjoy :flipoff2:

I'm sure there are some applications where this setup may cure what ails you...just not for me.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Back to the OP:

I'm running a Contour dual fan with a Flex-A-Lite PWM controller:

The European equivalent would be, IIRC: The Ford Mondeo. Make certain it is the dual fan setup, and you'll pull 3400 cfm with the setup. There is very little trimming required to make the shroud fit.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
21 - 37 of 37 Posts