Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching doing a triangulated 4 link in the rear of TJ. I'm planning on using the big RE super-flex joints at the frame ends, and the M.O.R.E. bushings at the axle ends. Will these give the links sufficient range of motion?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Hey Vols, It looks like you used square tubing for your links front and rear. What did you use size wise and how are they holdin up.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I use the RE spherical joints on one end & their new soft poly bushings on the other & it's great.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
2x2x.250 tubing -- used the flex joints at the triangulated ends of both the uppers and lowers --- bushings at the wider ends

ask me in a few months how it's holding up -- haven't had it on the trail yet....but I think it'll hold up at least as good as than anything else out there.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
we've installed the Clayton kit -- it works great -- mine picture above is not a Clayton kit, but I will say that I certainly learned what I could from his design...and then adapted it for double-triangulation (look at my buddy's hand througth the spring and you will see the angle/location of the lower links), 113", and a 3-link front

here's the Clayton single triangulated installed in a TJ

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the question remains, which joints at which ends? I like the RE joints for the range of motion, and the MORE rubber bushings for the cushioning. So which joints at which ends? We're talking plain old vanilla triangulated long-arm 4-link folks.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I will have a very similar set up to Vols with the exception of running the large RE joints front and rear on the links. I too am using 2x2 .250 wall square tubing. I'll break a link before I bend that shiat, and its heavy so I'll have some more weight down low. Look for a tread next week on the build up, Astar and I are doing it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I wanted a suspension that would not bind. I also wanted to run bushings on one end to save money...I drew it up in autocad and the setup I had was gonna bind unless I used some sort of joint on each end. So I am running 2.5" Johnny Joints...threaded on one side non threaded on the other...a pic.

lower links are 1.5" .250 DOM sleeved with 1.75" .120 DOM
uppers are just 1.5" .250 DOM

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I used JJ's at the triangulated end (i.e., at the axle truss where the links are closest) - can't tell you that it is THE best place, but I can tell you that I have absolutely no binding issues

CA YJ -- nice looking work

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm actually getting ready to stretch my TJ and I'm using Heims at both ends of all the links. I don't think there's any chance of binding.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I used heims at both end when I made the double triangulated setup on my CJ6. When it was done I could see that it was not necessary. I likely did not need anything but bushings or rubber mounts. I keep my coils captured though. If you keep the links in line with the mounts, there is very little bind at all. With a bushing on one end and some type of flex joint on the other, you should be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
If I was going to use a bushing at one end, it would be at the frame side.

I used RE joints on one end of my lowers and the big Skyjacker heims on the other. I used all 3/4" hiems on my uppers, and an 1 1/4" heim at the axle end of my A arm in for my front 3 link.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts