Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any reason to use a hawse fairlead rather than a roller fairlead when using rope rather than cable? I know that you can mount the hawse a lot closer than the roller. Other than that is there any preference?g

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
it doesn't really matter. If you already have a fairlead just use it. If not i would buy one of the trick aluminum hawse fairleads specifically designed for sythetic ropes.

-Steve

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Definately use one of those trick aluminum fairleads. Rollers tend to snag winch rope, not recomended...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anybody seen/heard any incidences of those "trick aluminum fairleads" cracking after taking a blow??? I am interested in getting one as I am also switching to synthetic but I can only imagine the carnage that could be done to a rope if there was a crack/chip/break in the fairlead. Does anyone know if the aluminum fairleads as cast or from billet aluminum?

Also open to info on the best prices, sources, etc. on these.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
i know plenty of people running synthetic with rollers without a problem. The person that most readily comes to mind is Scott at Rockstomper. I asked him this exact question and he said he has never had any problems with his rollers. He sells the rope, and uses the rope, so i'm trusting him. I've got the synthetic now and rollers but haven't used it yet.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
"Rollers tend to snag winch rope, not recomended..."

Seen it happen. POS warn roller ate some 3/8ths amsteel

Ron

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
wngrog said:
What is wrong with a steel Warn Hawse?
Nothing, they just aren't as smooth as an aluminum one. They really keep the friction to a minimum...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah, my only concern about the aluminum is the possibility of cracking it or seriously gouging it on the rocks as I imagine they are a lot less resistant to that than the steel hawse.

Hey, does Allpro offer them without their RIDICULOUS self advertising on it? It's not like most folks want to give somebody free advertising... other than the geeks that run around with every piddly sticker for every part they ever installed on their rig or any of their friends rigs, man those look goofy IMO. Last I checked most guys in the competitions anyway were charging for advertising space, sure makes me not want to buy theirs. Too bad, it otherwise looks nicely done...

·
Premium Member
17,783 Posts
Beartrack said:

Hey, does Allpro offer them without their RIDICULOUS self advertising on it? It's not like most folks want to give somebody free advertising...
Are you freakin kidding? That has to be the gayest comment I've heard in a while. Maybe you should scrape the WARN sticker off your winch, groove the TSL SWAMPER off the sidewalls of your tires, scrape off the SWAY AWAY stickers on your RACE RUNNER shocks, etc. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's funny Lance, but I don't recall seeing you running around with little stickers from every manufacturer of every part on your rig. To each his own, I don't go insulting your taste. I just prefer the simple look without all the stickers and names all over the place so I'm a bit unclear what your beef is. Put whatever you want on your rig, I couldn't care less and won't go thrashing you for it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts