Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see people with a dozen gages, and people with one or two. I think temp and volts is the minimum. Anything I will regret not having?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
oil pressure, coolant temp, tranmission temp, tachometer, voltage,and fuel level would do it
X2 the tach & fuel are optional and I added a big red oil lite (thinking about a HOT lite too) because I don't really look at them alot:smokin:

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
i plan to have a tach, water temp, tranny temp, oil press, volts

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thought about oil press but my distributor is wired to an oil pressure switch. when the oil pressure drops to less than 5 psi it kills the motor.

I suppose I could change the volt meter to a trans temp and add an idiot light for the alt.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
oil pressure, coolant temp, tranmission temp, tachometer, voltage,and fuel level would do it
have these and a power steering temp gauge to install along with the ram assist this winter :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I thought about oil press but my distributor is wired to an oil pressure switch. when the oil pressure drops to less than 5 psi it kills the motor.

I suppose I could change the volt meter to a trans temp and add an idiot light for the alt.

Thanks for the replies.
I'd feel alot better knowing what the oil press is doing. If I only had one gauge it would be oil press. I don't think 7lbs is too good at 5 grand.:shaking:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Definatly add oil pressure to the other two you have.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I think the tach is kinda being underrated in this thread. So I'll say that every real race car that I've ever seen has the tach. front and center. Why not at least have a small one in your dash. It makes diagnosing problems and performing adjustments easier too.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
On the tow rig lets see: speedo, tach, oil press, water temp, boost, tranny temp(in pan), post turbo pyro, voltage, go pedal fluid, two double needle air bag pressures, and thats all for now.

Soon to add post turbo pyro, second tranny temp(on output line), rear axle temp, intake air temp, hydro steering temp, and outside air temp.

The jeep? Speedo (doesn't work), oil pressure, tach, water temp, and voltmeter(doesn't work also). If my headlights get dim, then my alternator wires fell off again. If the engine starts making noise, I check the oil pressure guage and find its zero. If my heatter stats to get really hot, I check the temp guage. I just watch the tach really.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the tach is kinda being underrated in this thread. So I'll say that every real race car that I've ever seen has the tach. front and center. Why not at least have a small one in your dash. It makes diagnosing problems and performing adjustments easier too.
I have a cheap digital clock/tach/ that I got for free. Probably not very accurate, but I figure it'll get the job done.

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a pic or diagram, but it's like this... The motor is a tpi 305 from an 87 Pontiac. On the back of the motor where the oil pressure port is there is a T, with a oil sensor for either the dash or the ecm, and a oil pressure switch. Originally it is intended to be a backup for the fuel pump relay. So, power comes from the ign switch, through the oil press switch, then turns on the relay. When oil pressure drops, it kills the relay which in turn kills the distributor.

I figure if it saves the motor from oil starvation it'll be worth it.

·
"All Weeee Drive!"
12,033 Posts
Seems that most has been covered, but.....

I don't wear a watch (usually have my cell for that).

When I wheel, I'm always missing it.

I keep meaning to put a clock in my rig.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts