Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for something to hold about 8 rifles, some pistolas and other electronic equipment.

Looking for one that has some fire-proofing.

Floor of safe should be about 6 square feet. This will be going on a floor slab.

·
Fistful of Boomstick
45,473 Posts
I would think...bigger :laughing: trust me.

·
Premium Member
682 Posts
I went with Cannon safes.. VERY happy with the look and quality.. Remember to buy a safe that is twice the size what you think you might need.. You will always fill them up.. Costco has a good deal on a smaller Cannon,, not the glossy finish but the price is good..

Aaron

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
8 rifles? So, that translates to about 4 rifles and some handguns. :p

One can make a smaller "factory" gun safe hold more long guns than it was intended by fabricating some custom finger racks.

Granted, if you have to get a gun out of the back rack, you essentially have to empty out the entire safe. Still, once all in...your guns are protected. It's a cheap way to make a smaller safe more appealing. If the buttstocks interfere...just stagger the spacing between the finger grooves.

:smokin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
i got a fort knox. pricey, but nice with the higher fireproof rating.

·
Registered
889 Posts
15 X 15 ft room with 9in thick walls/floor and celing reinforced with lot's and i do mean lot's of rebar.

door is 3/4 in thick with air seal, get locked in...you die. 12 1 1/2 in bolts.

no alarm, just dogs (hungry dogs)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have a Heritage Safe

Model TX3666...

It's 36x66x28 and about 1000 lbs empty.

I need another one already!

get the largest one you can!

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
15 X 15 ft room with 9in thick walls/floor and celing reinforced with lot's and i do mean lot's of rebar.

door is 3/4 in thick with air seal, get locked in...you die. 12 1 1/2 in bolts.

no alarm, just dogs (hungry dogs)
While you're checking in on your hungry dogs, you might want to check your measurements again.

Those 1 1/2 door bolts are .75 inches wider than your "3/4 in thick door."

My safe room is made up of 2' thick, and I do mean thick steel reinforced concrete. To get in it, you have to get into my neighbors garage and find the secret passage. Once in, you have to travel through a maze of tunnels. If you chose wisely, you'll arrive in my safe room. Even then, you have to choose the correct combination to the air duct....otherwise, you'll "get locked in...you die."

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
While you're checking in on your hungry dogs, you might want to check your measurements again.

Those 1 1/2 door bolts are .75 inches wider than your "3/4 in thick door."
I think he meant 1.5" LONG, as in that's how far it extends into the door jamb

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Hey J-Bone.
Since you are in the SFV, try...

Sun Welding Safe Company

They are in Simi Valley and have a showroom. Ive had a Pony Express for going on 10 years now, great safe. Very comparable to the major brands, and anything they dont have in stock they will build for you.
They always have a booth at the Ventura Gun Show and have some great show specials.

kris.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Your opinion on this safe

Cabela's is having a sale on a Cannon Safari safe. This is a link to the company site: http://www.safarisafe.com/professionalhunter.html

Price is $499.99 for the PH-22 which is $100 off their usual price.

I know most of you would say its too small but it would meet my needs for the foreseeable future. Good deal or keep looking?

Thanks
RD

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I always wanted to buy a HUGE safe. Then i talked to a safe salesman. He advised me to get two smaller safes. I end up with more space for less money. And two smaller safes would be easier to hide than one HUGE ASS safe, if that matters to you. Plus you can buy them seperately if you don't need the gigantor safe right away to split up the expense some.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
I always wanted to buy a HUGE safe. Then i talked to a safe salesman. :laughing: He advised me to get two smaller safes. I end up with more space for less money. And two smaller safes would be easier to hide than one HUGE ASS safe, if that matters to you. Plus you can buy them seperately if you don't need the gigantor safe right away to split up the expense some.
Did the two smaller safes cost more than one big safe?:D

·
Registered
39,918 Posts
Has anyone ever had any guns actually survive a fire, even if they were in a safe? We just finished redoing a few guns for my Dad's boss that were in a fire. He had some huge, expensive gun safe, and while the guns didn't technically catch fire, they basically just baked inside the safe like an oven. With the exception of the barrels still being straight, they were almost a total loss. Even the paperwork in the safe was charred, but not burned. You could still read the pages, but if you touched them, they would kinda crumble. It kind of made me second guess even bothering with a "fire proof" safe, and just go for one that helps prevent theft. :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts