Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just purchased some hunsaker seats and mounted them to the factory seat brackets which is mounted to the jeep body. now im installing some 5 point harnesses and i could mount the lap belts to the floor of the jeep, seeing as how the seats are mounted to the floor. but for the shoulder straps i have a rear spreader bar. would it be a bad idea to mount the shoulder straps to the spreader bar? would it be safer just using the lap belts for now untill i get around to adding bars to the cage for the seats to mount on?

·
thhhpptthh!
46,717 Posts
is the cage tied to the floor or the frame?

I;d say you are safer with the shoulder harness' than without. no matter what they are mounted to.

If you;re wheeling hard enough to need a harness.. you should work on that cage.

·
Premium Member
19,786 Posts
I agree, just put the shoulder belts at the correct height.
It would be better to have the seats tied into the cage, but with a 97 model, you are going to be fine.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, just put the shoulder belts at the correct height.
It would be better to have the seats tied into the cage, but with a 97 model, you are going to be fine.
the cage is mounted to the floor, not tied into the frame. and the correct height is 0-4" below the shoulders. but does that mean below the sholders, or below the slots in the seats for the shoulder straps. my shoulders sit around 3" above those slots.

·
Banned
158 Posts
They should be mounted max. 15° down using the slots as reference point.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
below the shoulders
They should be mounted max. 15° down using the slots as reference point.
we have conflicting input here guys. the only reason that 0-4" below shoulders doesnt make sence to me is because why would the shoulder straps go over my shoulders then down a couple of inches to the slots then back up to the spreader bar? i put the spreader bar even with the slots and that is 3 " below my shoulders. this would be correct?

·
Banned
158 Posts
It doesn't matter how tall you are or where your shoulders are in relation to the slots. The only measurement to look at is the angle of the belt exiting the slots.

·
Registered
16,106 Posts
I'm still confused... LOL

You're running the strap over your shoulder, down to the slot, then out. So you mount the end of the strap 0-4" below your shoulder level, regardless of where the slot is? (keeping in mind the 10* exiting from the slot)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes.
here is something to go off of.

thats what i dont understand, so the strap goes over your shoulders, down to the slots then back up? which will be 0-10 degrees below your shoulders. what happens in a harsh roll and the seat breaks where the straps go through it? then you will have a bit of slack in the shoulder straps which will definatly not be a good thing.

·
Registered
839 Posts
you must have a really long upper body or really small seats if the slots are that far below your shoulders. especially if you are 6' tall.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
were did u find that diagram? i need one of those for a 3 point harness. my rear strap just pulles down and everyone says i am going to collapse my spine!

·
Registered
893 Posts
were did u find that diagram? i need one of those for a 3 point harness. my rear strap just pulles down and everyone says i am going to collapse my spine!
Stoney i have a whole pamphlet (sp) you can have bro. They come with my simpson belts.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
Here's a link to G force install instructions:
http://www.gforce.com/pdf/harnessinstall.pdf
Excerpt:
Gforceharness install.jpg
Proper Installation is Important
The effectiveness of a restraint assembly is also influenced by attachment techniques.
The principal precaution for installing the mounting hardware to the vehicle is to minimize bending stress in the fitting. This is achieved by making sure the belts pull from a straight angle against the hardware. The assembly should be installed so that the straps do not rub against any surface that can cause the webbing to fray. The anchoring mechanisms should also be periodically checked so that they don’t become loose or weakened.
Proper installation of the restraint assembly also means achieving the correct fit to the driver. Belts should be as short as possible to reduce stretching for better control of occupant movement.
The attachment points must provide the optimum geometry to minimize movement of the belts. Lap belts perform best when they act at an angle between 45° and 55° relative to the longitudinal axis of the vehicle as illustrated in part A of Figure 2. This angle permits the lap belt to react to the upward pull of the shoulder harness. A system installed with a shallow belt angle, as shown in part B of Figure 2, permits the shoulder harness to pull the lap belt up off the pelvic area and into the abdominal region with the likelihood of injury to internal organs. The end attachments of the shoulder harness must also be installed at appropriate angles. The ideal position is anywhere between 5° below and 30° above the driver’s shoulder, as seen in part C of Figure 2. If the upper attachment point falls significantly below the driver's shoulder,
then a spinal compression injury is likely to occur. In an accident situation, the shoulder belts pull down and back on the torso as they resist the forward motion of the driver. The resultant restraint force compresses the spinal column and will add to the stresses in the spine already caused by the force of the crash impact. On the other hand, if the trailing ends of the harness are too far above the shoulder (greater than 30°), then two problems can occur. First, tension in the shoulder harness is increased and undue stress is applied to the harness and its structural attachments. Second, excessive angle will cause excessive motion. If the harness belts are too far above the shoulder, they will provide little resistance to forward motion of the driver’s upper torso. The result is impact with the steering wheel and the possibility of neck injury. The shoulder straps should also be 3-6” apart behind the driver's neck to prevent slippage off the shoulders.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
you must have a really long upper body or really small seats if the slots are that far below your shoulders. especially if you are 6' tall.
Ive got the same issues with my seats. Corbeau Baja SS, shoulda gone with the Ultras. The slots cant be used in my setup due to being too low. Mounting the harness to harness bar and just drapping over seats.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts