Pirate 4x4 banner

Which is the better tubing notcher? Jd2, or protools?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  tigweld 
#1 ·
I am going to buy one of them, and want to know which one is best and why? They are both $169, so no price difference.

The protools goes to 60 degrees and the jd2 only does 50, so the protools looks better. Is the protools one as good a quality as the jd2?

Thanks,
Phil

#3 ·
Since no one on the other thread will answer my specific question. Was hoping a new thread would do it.

I am not using a chop saw - too much of a PITA to do the angled notches.

So which is better jd2 or protools and why? Anyone?

Thanks,
Phil

#4 ·
1TONTJ said:

I am not using a chop saw - too much of a PITA to do the angled notches.

Thanks,
Phil
your kidding right ????? what is so pita about angled notches? same as straight except you move the clamp to a diffrent angle. i had a notcher sitting in the corner when i did the buggy and just used the saw because it is quicker and easyer

#6 ·
I don't really seem to get the notching with the saw, I just used the notcher and then angled it with a torch. It worked ok, but sure does take time. Can someone post some pics of the end of a piece of tube that has been notched with the saw, so i can see what I would be shooting for. Please.

#7 ·
By the way, I have a JD2 notcher, I have abused it in my opinion, and it still works like new. Only gripe with it, is it is a pain in the ass to change the hole saw on it. Maybe I am doing it wrong, but I am never looking forward to it. I wish it was set up more like the arbors for hole saws. If the pro tools is set up this way, I would get that one.

#9 ·
William low buck tools. They have a great notcher that most people will never where out, and if you do the new cutters are $20. It makes fast easy cuts. If you doing an angle joint, just cut the tube on the same angle, then notch the pointed end. Now the only thing with this type of notcher, is that you can't get the perfect fit all the time. It is a great compermise between perfect and slow, or real close and real fast.

#10 · (Edited)
I've only seen someone use the williams low buck one. Looked like it was a pretty frikkin fast way to go: CHOMP-CHOMP-WELD... CHOMP-CHOMP-WELD. :grinpimp:

I went and looked at it on the net, though, and the $300 price DOES make the title "low buck" seem like a cruel joke.

But like ems said, it ain't perfect. ;)

#13 ·
The plate on my protool is also bent. I use it on aluminum pipe 90% of the time.

Camo,
I would like to see you do a 42* notch with a chop saw, on 1.5'" tube to 1.5" tube. . To notch 1.5" to 1.5" at 90* with a chop saw you need two oposing(sp?) cuts at 26*, split at the middle of the tube. To move the angle of intersection to 42*, you must add 42* to one of thoes cuts, and subtract it from the second cut. This means you need to make on cut at -16* and the other at 68*.:flipoff2: Most chop saws dont go to 68*;) ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.