Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing a dana 30 SAS on my ford explorer. I am planning on going with coils, my question is what is the best year and model to get it from. I would like to have 4.10's I know the TJ has what i need but what year XJ has the same. also are any of them not have vacuum actuated hubs?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
haha funny,

what year xj should i look for? did the xj come with 4.10's?
why kind of system does the xj use to lock hubs? I am going from 2wd to 4wd. I dont want to hook up vacuum act.

·
Registered
657 Posts
91 - 95 XJ with ABS and selec-trac will net you 297x ujoints and a 1 piece pass shaft (high pinion too) The 4.10 came in the 4 cylinders (manual) and some tow packages, most auto's came 3.55's so you either need to find the gears you want and swap the axles or just swap gears...

There are some minor variation between the unit bearings on the later 30's but all the shafts will interchange (requires a non-disconnect seal installed on pass side tube at the diff on the CAD models) :flipoff2:

Matt

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Initially that was what i was going to do. I dont want to spend a bunch of $$ on it now. Not only is the d30 a whole lot cheaper, but i can keep 4.5 on 5 bolt pattern. I dont want to have to put new shafts in my 8.8.

·
Registered
500 Posts
jeffseal said:
haha funny,

what year xj should i look for? did the xj come with 4.10's?
why kind of system does the xj use to lock hubs? I am going from 2wd to 4wd. I dont want to hook up vacuum act.

Unless its vacuum disco they are always engaged. They never unlock, so the driveshaft spins also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep, 3.54 & down require one carrier and 3.73 & up take another.
Consider going back to plan "A" and starting with a 44, the difference in cost won't be that much.

John

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the plan was to find a d30 from a jeep with coils and 4.10's and take everything, brakes,steering, susp. and put it in my exploder. I figured i could get the entire front end of a jeep for 300ish. It would cost big bucks to rebuild a d44 and then have to deal with the rear.

also is the diamter of jeep springs the same as diamter on EB springs.
what i need to know is if i can use top coil buckets from a EB and posibley springs fro an EB.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
haha
yeah but then i have a shity dana 44 in the rear not to mention no room in the back for a cooler :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts