Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I did a search and didn't find an answer that worked. I want to open up the exhaust on my 99TJ a little. I don't want to sound like a fawkin ricer either. I am running a single exhaust behind the 4.0l straight six. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good muffler that is high flow, but not rice sounding, it can't be a straight pass no baffles muffler either. Thanx

Sean

·
Premium Member
14,733 Posts
I`ve got a FLowmaster 40 series and it sounds great behind the i6 in my YJ... Highly suggest it.. also a Carsound cat to go with it would be nice... if you run a cat at all :D

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
94YJGuy said:
I`ve got a FLowmaster 40 series and it sounds great behind the i6 in my YJ... Highly suggest it.. also a Carsound cat to go with it would be nice... if you run a cat at all :D
I run that setup with a header style mani (93 OEM) sounds nice :)

·
thhhpptthh!
46,718 Posts
my cherry-bomb turbo sounds sweeeeet behind my 5.2 ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
anything Stainless Steel...Banks, Borla, Random Technology.

i can't understand why anyone would want to replace the factory stainless steel muffler with one that will rust out in a couple years for a little bit of performance.

matt

oh, now i see most of you are out south and west where it is warm and dry. we have salt and rust here...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
deffinitely flowmaster, like said, either the 40 or 50 series.

the 40(non-delta) gonna be the loudest, but has awesome rumble for being behind a i6.

the delta 40 is a tad bit more mild than the non delta.

The 50 is a bit on the softer side.

I got the delta 40 and upgraded the tailpipe to 2 1/2.

·
Registered
19,421 Posts
It can't sound like a ricer, the engine displacement's too big. 4.0's actually sound pretty sweet with a HP muffler on them. I'll get one, but not until my stock one rots off :D

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Taso Stambolis said:
Hooker Aerochamber
I second the Aero-Chamber. I have it on my junk and it sounds really good. Nor rice aspect at all and that's hard to do with my motor :flipoff2:

·
Non-Lemming
78,528 Posts
jeepnmatt said:
anything Stainless Steel...Banks, Borla, Random Technology.

i can't understand why anyone would want to replace the factory stainless steel muffler with one that will rust out in a couple years for a little bit of performance.

matt

oh, now i see most of you are out south and west where it is warm and dry. we have salt and rust here...

I agree. Add Bullet to the list. I've had one for a couple of years
and it's great.

http://www.bulletperformance.com/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Flowmasters. They're cheap. When I worked at an exhaust shop, we replaced rusted out Flows on warranty regardless of how old they were. I put in a Borla header and carsound cat too. Good stuff, it actually frightens some ricers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have had Flowmaster and now Borla and between the two for me I like the Borla. I also have the Borla header on now too. The sound is deep and it does not sound like the usual bees humping in a tin can.

·
Registered
29,224 Posts
I put a Flowmaster 50 on mine when my stock one went to shit.

I got a 2.5L but it doesn't sound too much like a ricer, it's just loud and raspy at high RPMs.

It has taken a beating and survived. Took about 5 direct hits from my driveshaft when a U-joint when kaboom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts