Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 91-98 toyota pickup in the near future. It would be my first toyota and I don't want to get burned. I hope to be able to tow my boat and my heep with it too. Are there any years/configurations that I should stay away from? What makes them superior to the ranger/s10 besides their good looks? You dont have to be too specific here. I can search if I know what to search for. Thanks


K




.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
tow? why you want a mini truck to tow? if you are dead set on it, then get the s-10 with the 4.3....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
88runnerV6 said:
yeah but the red ones go super fast
only if it has the racing stripes or flames...those add at least another 15 hp easy...if you have both that's an extra 30 horses. :D
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a2b said:
tow? why you want a mini truck to tow? if you are dead set on it, then get the s-10 with the 4.3....

S10's look like ass. It would be a DD with occasional towing, so I don't think towing would present a problem. I'm also considering a cherokee. Maybe a V8 grand.



K



.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,727 Posts
jeepyj said:
Please elaborate. Do you have specific reasons?

Think about it, most of those vehicles are "rated" to pull 5-6500 lbs. On paper that seams fine, that is not real world. Look at the brakes, chassis, and drive shafts and tell me you want to pull with a little truck. Get a bigger truck, you will not regret it in the long run.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
95steel said:
Think about it, most of those vehicles are "rated" to pull 5-6500 lbs. On paper that seams fine, that is not real world. Look at the brakes, chassis, and drive shafts and tell me you want to pull with a little truck. Get a bigger truck, you will not regret it in the long run.

Since I know people with grands that tow trailers full of firewood and show trucks on trailers, and couldn't be happier, I think I can ignore the towing issue. And since this is a toyota forum...back to the original question. Are there any years/engines/trannys I should avoid?

EDIT:I also know a guy with a Toy that has towed his boat for years without any issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
If your dead set on getting a toy for towing. Get a 3.0 extended cab. And if you really want power, just pop a 302, or 4.3 in there. Or the 3.4 from a taco should bolt up to tranny and mounts, just wiring you have to work with. The brakes on these are four piston up front w/ great stopping power, and some huge drums in back..But they are still drums (do a conversion. Your gonna need to regear it (4.88 or 5.29, but no more than that) I have heard lots of grenading stories with 5.71 gears b/c of small ring and pinion. Id still go with a powerstroke diesel Ford and stick it on 40s for my tow rig, but then again, I dont have 60k+.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
go to any Grand forum, or own one, and you'll know the brakes suck
my 5.2 runs perfectly- I towed a broken early 90's yota (near stock) up a hill, and nearly overheated just from that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,168 Posts
Well; in my opinoin
you posted a lame ass post in the wrong section
Thus; the lame ass reply's
What do you xpect.
Fuckin wanna pull 7000# with a 3800# truck
All this is a accident waiting to happen
Good luck stopping the pig
Thats what it will feel like when you step on the gas
Hope nobody gets hurt when you can't stop at a red light
People try to state their opinions and you bring up friends that
have done what you are gonna do anyway so WTF !
You seem like a smart person, think about it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,352 Posts
fabricator said:
Well; in my opinoin
you posted a lame ass post in the wrong section
Thus; the lame ass reply's
What do you xpect.
Fuckin wanna pull 7000# with a 3800# truck
All this is a accident waiting to happen
Good luck stopping the pig
Thats what it will feel like when you step on the gas
Hope nobody gets hurt when you can't stop at a red light
People try to state their opinions and you bring up friends that
have done what you are gonna do anyway so WTF !
You seem like a smart person, think about it.
I think it was these :rainbow: colors :flipoff2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,491 Posts
jeepyj said:
And since this is a toyota forum...back to the original question. Are there any years/engines/trannys I should avoid?.
go to the "tow section" and get flamed there :flipoff2:
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
a2b said:
go to the "tow section" and get flamed there :flipoff2:

If this is is the wrong section, Please have it moved.

I wasn't specifically asking about towing. In the towing section, The people that tow with grands say that it wouldn't be their first choice for towing, but it works. If you were getting a DD to use 350 days a year,tow your rig 6 days, and your boat 9, I suppose you would use a super duty :rolleyes:

I'm in a Toyota forum asking if there are specific years or engines/trannys I should avoid on toyota trucks in the 91-98 range. It couldn't be easier. If you don't know, then don't push the reply button. It's as simple as that. Maybe it's not simple enough for you guys.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top