Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a lot of searching the last few days but havent been able to find the "end-all" information for which springs to use when doing an SAS on my `97 Tacoma.

I plan to use Ford HP60 front and 60 rear and leaf springs all the way around. Immediately I plan to run 37x12.50" MTRs because i've had a set in the garage for a year or so. Later on I will probably step up to 40"s or 42"s when I can beef up the front axle. I would like to run the 37"s very minimal fender trimming and worry about further trimming when i step up to the bigger tires (although i do plan to bob the bed and possible dovetail the back).

I've seen a bunch of rigs that i really like, MachoTaco (but who doesnt), TacomaJoe, lilbuddy, lbz134...to name a few.

Even between these rigs there's quite a bit of different spring combinations. the 44044's are 2.5" lift springs for the waggy, but how much lift do they give on the taco? how much lift do chevy springs provide on the rear if I were to go with the 52" or 56" variety? I also have an opportunity for a set of cheap rear 3" lift springs from an `85 that I could use up front. If i were to go that route what would it clear the 37"s w/o issue, and what would it take to level out the rear?

What has worked out well for y'all? also, how long should I be looking to make the shackles?

input is appreciated.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The waggy springs provide enough lift to run 37's...minor trimming needed. Keep in mind, axle placement will matter as well. I ran the 4" Skyjacker leafs for the older toys on mine for a long time with success. For the rear I run 63" chebies. Best leaf for the money IMO. They are flexy as hell and can take a fair amount of abuse. Plus, they are only $90 from a pick-n-pull!

·
Registered
822 Posts
A friend of mine ,whom im sure will be along shortly, has 6" allpro mini truck springs front and rear on his 98. he has 60's front and rear too and runs 39.5s.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
I'm running 44044's with a leaf taken out. Seems to ride good for me so far. The truck was originally built on 7 leaf Waggy springs which probably would've allowed 37's but I had 35's at the time. Currently it sits at 24.5 ground to frame.

·
Registered
623 Posts
When I was leafs in the front I ran 44044's on 37's with no fender trimming. I'm now on coilovers and 40's and several inches lower. Brad(Mossyrocks) runs stock waggy springs up front with 37's and minimal trimming and it sits pretty low. If I was to do leafs over again I would definatly just run stock waggy's and trim.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm running 4" Trail Gear leafs on my '96 4Runner. A lot depends on how your leafs are hung i.e. front hanger and shackle hanger. I started with stock waggy springs and there wasn't enough up travel with them. Oh I'm running 37" IROKs.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's my junks info.

79 Ford 60 in front with 5" All Pro leafs (not buggy) (now very settled in)
GM 14 Bolt rear with 63" Chevy's
currently running 40" Creepy's some additional trimming
Front shackles are 4" long and the rears (iirc) are 5.5" long.

Had some trimming to run 38's when I was on the 44 & 9" axles.

When freshly swapped with the 44 & 9" axles on 38's, NO trimming yet.

As seen after doing 60 & 14 bolt on 40's with very relax'd All Pro leafs and trimming.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx for the info y'all...i picked up the set of 3" rear lift springs yesterday to run up front, and a set of 63" chebbies for the rear for $65...still gathering info but i'm hoping to get the swap done by the end of July.

great lookin' truck heatstroke, how far forward of stock did you mount the front spring hangers in the rear of the truck? How much were you able to bob it?

·
Registered
291 Posts
thx for the info y'all...i picked up the set of 3" rear lift springs yesterday to run up front, and a set of 63" chebbies for the rear for $65...still gathering info but i'm hoping to get the swap done by the end of July.

great lookin' truck heatstroke, how far forward of stock did you mount the front spring hangers in the rear of the truck? How much were you able to bob it?
Thanks. Check this link for the mount question as I think you have different factory length leafs than I did. For my 99 I'm pretty sure we set mine @ 7.5" forward, but it could have been a little less. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20665

For the bed bob, I took 13" out of it. It was something to do 2 Thanksgivings ago and was supposed to give way to a flatbed. I haven't got to the flatbed due to other upgrade projects that don't seem to end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts