Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it is time to replace my Rough Country springs. They have finally went flat.

I have an '82 Jeep CJ-7 sitting on full width 1/2 ton axles. It has the stock 258 in it. I have also completed to SOA conversion. I am running 37 inch irocs. I am looking at going with a 3.5 to 4 inch spring.

I don't need to buy a kit, because all of the u-bolts and extras won't fit with the upgraded axles.

I have been looking at Quadratec, because they are the only place I can find springs sold individually. Here is my question, which spring manufacture should I go with.

Skyjacker?
Superlift?
Rubicon Express?
Trail Master?
Or
Rugged Ridge?

Sorry, I tried to look around but didn't find much on spring comparisons. I do a lot of rock crawling with this jeep. So, I am looking for something strong enough to put up with the beating, but still give me good articulation.

I also plan on installing to Sam's 4x4 traction bar, to get rid of my axle wrap in the rear.

Thanks,
Erik

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Don't run a lift spring with a spring over!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best springs are the rubicon express reverse eye SOA springs. They are pretty close to a stock cj spring height.

I ran 37's spring over with factory springs for 4 years and now have 39's with roughly the same lift.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Not with 37's. ..The RE SOA springs are gonna net you close to 7" of lift vs a stock YJ. You'll probably want to run TJ flares, or no flares at all though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They don't make them for a cj, which means I will need to convert all of my hangers to a yj hanger.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
They don't make them for a cj, which means I will need to convert all of my hangers to a yj hanger.
You mean all two of them that are different?

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Did you have to cut the body out for clearance? Don't want to cut the tub as this time.
With the 37's I just bump stopped the front. The rear axle i moved back 1" using rubicon express spring perches with the offset center holes. It was extremely easy. On the body i trimmed the rear of the opening to fit tj flares. I centered the flares with the front of the wheel well and trimmed the back of the wheel well to fit the flares. Mounting the flares like this matched perfectly with the axle back 1"

Here's a good reason to stay away from lift springs and soa. Like i said these are just the factory springs soa. 37's were way too big with the axles i had, but the price was right :D (and yes i broke alot)

Currently the axle is still in the same location but with 40's. The tj flares look clean and have lots of room.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Reading this i remebered that the front springs have a wide bushing on the spring hanger side... I just measured my brothers spring hanger (another cj7 with my old suspension and axle) and it is just slightly narrower than the rear hanger. You might be able to fit a 2.5" wide spring in there...

Anybody done this??? This is something i had wondered before but am not sure about.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Reading this i remebered that the front springs have a wide bushing on the spring hanger side... I just measured my brothers spring hanger (another cj7 with my old suspension and axle) and it is just slightly narrower than the rear hanger. You might be able to fit a 2.5" wide spring in there...

Anybody done this??? This is something i had wondered before but am not sure about.
Yes all the cj hangers can be used to run yj springs except for the front shackle hanger you have to swap those out to cj rear shackle hangers and move them forward by one bolt hole. Look in my build thread in the above post.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. That is exactly where I am going with my CJ. The only thing is I'm not going to go with the TJ flares. I'm going to go with the body armor from Sniper Fab. Another buddy of mine is doing a YJ conversion to King Coils, so I'm taking all his spring mounts.

·
Premium Member
18,529 Posts
Thanks. That is exactly where I am going with my CJ. The only thing is I'm not going to go with the TJ flares. I'm going to go with the body armor from Sniper Fab. Another buddy of mine is doing a YJ conversion to King Coils, so I'm taking all his spring mounts.
..You mean all two of them?

..You only need the front shackle hangers. It very well may be worth it to just by new ones vs using his old ones. Depends how nice they are and how easy they come off, but I'd just spend the $30 on new ones or build em myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts