Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run Super Swamper SSR 37x12.50R15 tires on my Jeep CJ-7. While I like the size and look of the tires, I find that they provide way less traction on the trails than my 35" BFG Mud Terrains did. I figure the reason is because the lugs are too large and thus have too much of a slick section of rubber on them to really grip the terrain (akin to a person rock climbing using knuckles vs. fingertips to grab all the little cracks and hand holds). I mainly wheel in rocks and loose dirt (i.e. Rubicon, Hollister, etc.) and am tired of always having to break out my winch due to my SSRs spinning to no avail when I encounter moderately difficult terrain (i.e. Hollister Hills' Tank Traps trail). I've got lockers, low gears, and I usually air down to 12psi when I hit the trails. I don't use my vehicle as a daily driver and I tow it to the trails.

Various folks have recommended a multitude of different tires that would be best for my vehicle and type of wheelin'. Some say bias ply tires provide the best off-road traction, while others tell me radials are more flexible and crawl over ostacles more easily. I've also been told that if I just notch the lugs on my SSRs, they will grab the terrain better. I'm considering switching to one of the following tires: Super Swamper SX, Super Swamper Bogger, or Goodyear Wrangler MT/R. As far as size is concerned, 37" is the magic number, although I've got enough clearance to fit up to 38.5" meats (or at least I will after performing a few modifications with the angle grinder). I'd appreciate some help choosing a tire that will provide me with maximum traction based on the type of off-roading I do.

-mm

P.S. I have 15" wheels and I'm not interested in changing to a different diameter wheel (unfortunately, this means BFG Krawlers will be out of the question since the 37" size is only for 17" wheels).

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hey man, that's a real good question, hmmm, I don't know, wow, I think I've seen those tires advertised somewhere or another, can't really remember right off hand.

Hey why don't you try a search on this page, surely someone has posted some information on this particular type of tire at sometime or another.

Good Luck dude,

Sincerely,

fuck you very much.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
mmvarsity said:
blah, blah, blah... and am tired of always having to break out my winch due to my SSRs spinning to no avail when I encounter moderately difficult terrain blah, blah, blah
Umm, here's a suggestion, if your current line is not working for you, try turning the wheel either left or right!:flipoff2: I've never even used my winch and I used to wheel on bald 36's;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
SIPE EM UP pal!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Why dont you see for yourself which tire works best. You say you wheel at Hollister and Rubicon. Take a look around at other rigs running with you and see what works. I would much rather make a decision based on first hand experience verses listening to a bunch of idiots on the internet that are full of shit, including myself. With that said I recommend a good set of thornbirds! :flipoff2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts