Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and found a few things but I am in need of suggestions(help) in deciding what type of tow point to use on the front and where to put them. I have the AP front drop hanger and stock bumper. In the near future (year or so) I plan to add a front tube bumper. I have seen some bumpers that are welded to the front drop spring hanger. I would like to add two tow points and would like to still be able to use them once I add the bumper.

Which type of tow point should I use?
1. factory tow hooks
2. Clevis

Where is the best placement for each tow point? I am thinking weld them onto the spring hanger a few inches inside the springs. (front for clevis and bottom side for tow hooks)

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
"D" rings!!!

clank clank clank You can be the talk of your neighborhood :D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't see D rings as an option because my local 4WD club only allows tow straps with loops on the ends.

·
Premium Member
15,352 Posts
Renaud33 said:
I don't see D rings as an option because my local 4WD club only allows tow straps with loops on the ends.
Ever hear of a shackle :flipoff2:

·
Registered
27,885 Posts
i had to tow a STOCK ifs toy on 31's thru gatekeeper last weekend. his stock tow hook got so wankered the frame will have to be heated up and beat back to flat for the hanger to sit flush when it gets SASed...

three weekends before we nearly tore the factory tow hook off the frame rail on an fj55 i had to tow outta barrett(broken front axle shaft and no rear driveshaft)...

what do you guys charge for towing?? :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
i cut a 1/2 plate to cover over the stock cross piece and the new drop hanger and welded it on,then put one eye in the middle for a clevis.seems to work for me so far...

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill Collins said:
i cut a 1/2 plate to cover over the stock cross piece and the new drop hanger and welded it on,then put one eye in the middle for a clevis.seems to work for me so far...
Sounds like a solid tow mount. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
i did this as well. i got sick of my d-ring being stolen so i welded the end so it won't unscrew any more. i've picked up the whole front of the truck with my highlift and been towed a few times with it. never had a problem!

in the rear i cut my frame back to the boxed part. then i welded in some 1" thick pieces of steel with holes drilled so i could hook a shackle through the hole. it works great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts