Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must apologize for infiltrating your forum but I've hit a roadblock in my research. Sorry but this project when complete will not be going off-roading.
I have an AWD 2002 Dodge Durango RT 5.9L 360 magnum with a 46RE transmission. My build plan is to make it twin turbo with upward of 600 ft lbs of torque on 12 lbs of boost. Yes I have the skill and determination and no I'm not some 16 year old with big dreams but can't actually turn a wrench. Anyway you see my problem? The factory NV/NP 244 transfer case isn't going to live long. So what are my options?
The transmission rebuild kit will turn the output shaft spline count to 35 if that helps. I realize some modifications may be needed; that's fine as long as its reasonable. Remember it has to be AWD.
in my research I found two possible candidates. A NV/NP 146 from a Cherokee SRT8 or a Borg Warner 1372 or 4472 from a GMC cyclone or typhoon (and other vehicles). I "think" the SRT one may be controlled by the ecm too much to be used. And the Borg while it may not seem like anything special has held up to a 500 hp cyclone through billet internals (just not sure if they were custom made or if a company sells them).

·
Registered
692 Posts
good luck, and good luck keeping the dana 35 front end alive with that power. sounds like you already found your answer, there just aren't many 600hp full time awd rigs running around unfortunately. Maybe a trailblazer SS t-case (is it even awd??) Aside from that why do you want full time awd? I could see winter driving, etc, etc, but if its just at the track I'm sure a part time 4wd case will open up several options. Just my opinion and i could very well be wrong on high HP awd setups.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I just checked with a guy who works at a shop that specializes in big HP Typhoon/cyclones. He said Typhoon transfer cases are good for about 1000hp. Cyclone cases are weaker but would hold up to 600HP. I don't know the model numbers but I am sure you can figure it out. He said the case is the same but the internals are different

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
The transmission rebuild kit will turn the output shaft spline count to 35 if that helps.

My build plan is to make it twin turbo with upward of 600 ft lbs of torque on 12 lbs of boost.
:laughing:

You know what you're doing?

I don't think any 35 spline output exists, even then, it's a waste for what you're doing. The exact same stock output you have right now is same as in the 48re behind Cummins with more torque than what your goal to make, stock. Also there's probably no t-case with 35 spline input.

Now, I'll try to be a nice guy, off my head, try look into Escadale's AWD transfer case? I'm not sure what they're alike and what it may take to mate the 46re but they're behind engines that make close to 400tq ft stock.

My biggest question, why sticking with the 5.9? Go Hemi and don't look back.

·
blatant asshole
11,828 Posts
with a 35spl output hes fucked himself. there are NO gm, ford, dodge awd or even 4wd tcase's

what ever case you choose you will be broaching or having a custom input shaft made.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And this is why the came here; for ideas. I don't expect anyone to have a definite answer but at least ideas that can point me in a possible direction.
If I have to have my friend make a custom shaft than that's what I'll do; I'm just looking for what you think will be strong enough.
Thanks for asking your buddy about the Borg does he happen to know if that's on a stock case or if indeed the internals have to be strengthened.
Perhaps I should explain what I can do before this gets into a debate about being over my head or impossible. I can build the engine and do alot of basic fabrication and anything I can't my friend is more than capable. He specializes in building motorcycles from the ground up and he's been on Monster Garage with Jessie James.
And I picked this platform because its different. I'm tired of seeing nothing but Silverados, escalades and f-150s. And I chose the AWD because I want this to be great at nothing but good at everything. Its going to live most of its life on the streets with the occasional trip to the drag strip on street night.
And to use a hemi would be way outside my budget and be nearly impossible to get the vehicle to pass inspection. I'm not against a little fabrication but with a Hemi your talking about changing everything.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Build the 5.9! Hemi's are great and all, but the old Magnum engines are still cool!

I think a great case for your appilcation would be something like the NV149 from a SS silverado. Being a single speed case this will have no extra parasitic loss from the low range planetary set, and I don't believe the viscous coupling requires any external control, like the GC NV146 does. You would have an issue with the input spline count, but MAYBE you could use the GC NV146 input shaft if you kept the stock output shaft spline count on your trans...?

I don't know much about the 244. If it's equal in strength the the NP242HD it might be worth a shot. I know the Hummer version of that case had a 6 planet differential along with 32 spline outputs and a cooling loop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone happen to know a one stop shop regarding information on NV/NP transfer cases; there's not a whole lot out there regarding strength, spline count, etc.

·
blatant asshole
11,828 Posts
there are so many versions of each case its hard to have a hard listing.

another case you could try is a bw4485 from awd escaldes. fixed high range, no shift motor or viscous controls. came behind 4l80/6l80 32 spl so you MIGHT be able to broach it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts