Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a rear steer hydraulic setup on my rig and my Howe pump is constantly whining. I do not believe it is a bleeding problem since the system has been bled extensively and the whining is constant from the initial startup to the shut down. The whining does get worse when I use the rear steer but it is constant either way.

I am wondering if anyone has a similar problem with the Howe pump and if they have found a way to fix it.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
What reservior are you using? I used one initially that was not baffled very well and had some problems with noise from the pump. I have since swapped in a Howe reservoir with the screw on filter and now my system makes no noise whatsoever. It is quieter than my old stock PS set-up. I am running a full hydro system from Rockstomper. Pump is a PSC pump.

With the old reservoir I would get noise when driving down the road- I guess from the fluid sloshing in the reservoir. I would also get noise at higher engine speeds too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
i use the howe tc pump and it has screamed since day one but i also was using one of the cheap circle track reserviors and i'm pretty sure that the air was not separating before it was being drawn to the pump......i put on the howe res. mentioned above and have run it some but it does not seem to have fixed the problem.....so i have two other ideas.....either i've run it too long making noise and burned the pump up.....or i'm still running a -6 return line and a -8 is recommended so i'm gonna change that and see what happens.....other than that i'm just gonna run it till the pump takes a crap and buy another i guess and start over......

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Some friends and I were discussing this same problem the other night......(but on a Howe assist, not full hydro).

Howe sent out a new pump, but this one is making noise as well. It's been bled extensively (for up to 5 hours), still whining. It's screamed since the system was new and does it at all speeds.

I'll have to check with the owner as to the resevior he's using but does anyone else know of what other things it could be?

He's using 90º fittings (I'm pretty sure that's what he said)....would that make it too restrictive and cause the squeal (grabbing for straws ;) )?

I don't think the cylinder's piston is bent.....since it's been making noise since new.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean

·
Registered
589 Posts
I worked with my Howe pump about 7-8 times over a month period before I got all of the whining out. I called them and bitched every time but once I got it right, it's been great ever since.

I removed the cap from the resevoir, loosened the high pressure hose at the pump so fluid would flow out of it at idle. With the tires off the ground, I slowly turned the wheel about halfway left and halfway right while constantly adding fluid to keep it above the baffle in the resevoir. You don't want the pump to bind like at a steering stop. This causes the pump to go to a higher pressure which allows cavatation. Tighten the hose at the pump and move down to the box/ram, loosen both hoses and repeat, left to right very slowly, adding fluid as neccessary. All of this is at idle. Leave the cap off over night and replace in the morning.

The first time I did this the whining did not completely go away but it was a big improvement. It took about three times to get all the whining out. Now it does not whine at all even in a bind. It's money.

I've noticed that this system likes to have a little pressure on the system. Meaning, if I open the resevoir to check the level, the pump will whine for about five minunes until it builds pressure.

Give it a try.

BTW, I used a case of the GM steering fluid to burp the system.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I did notice that after I installed the Howe reservoir and bled the system, I still got some whining out of the system. I let it sit overnight, and after that it was OK. When I made up my return lines, I used a -06 from the control valve to the cooler, and a -08 from the cooler to the reservoir. From the reservoir it's -10. I also used the "full-flow" style hose ends that make nice smooth turns to minimize drag. My system is totally silent and smooth operating.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
If the pump makes noise it's normally 'cause of air or a blockage.

Air trapped in the system can be fixed by bleeding the system and letting it sit for 20 minutes and then repeating.

A blockage is normally from crap in the hoses during the cut and crimp stage. Did you clean the hoses well before installing? If there is a blockage, it is normally in the pump behind the -10 fitting. Remove both fittings and clean well with brake clean.

Never let the pump continue to make noise for more then 10 minutes. after that the pump is normally ready for a rebuild. Return to manufacture.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Mine has whined like an old bitch ghost from the get-go.
All with big hoses and blead to death ...
(Thanks, Tony. I'll look at that blockage area.)
Howe told me it "is a problem we are having on the Sag. units" and "we are working on it."
They ought to re-name Howe to HOWL !!! :shaking:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sean said:
Some friends and I were discussing this same problem the other night......(but on a Howe assist, not full hydro).

Howe sent out a new pump, but this one is making noise as well. It's been bled extensively (for up to 5 hours), still whining. It's screamed since the system was new and does it at all speeds.

I'll have to check with the owner as to the resevior he's using but does anyone else know of what other things it could be?

He's using 90º fittings (I'm pretty sure that's what he said)....would that make it too restrictive and cause the squeal (grabbing for straws ;) )?

I don't think the cylinder's piston is bent.....since it's been making noise since new.

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Sean
Hi Sean,

Well, i'm the owner in question ;)

Man, i wish this thread had started a couple of weeks earlier.

So, the general consensus is that it's air in the system somewhere.

Couple of Q's

1) What’s the purpose of lifting the wheels off the ground when bleeding other than reducing stress/how does this help?

2) Is the pump wrecked after running a couple of runs howl(e)ing?

I am running their 2" ram assist, pump, pulley & reservoir/filter.

Needin a fix,
Mike

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Mike, I take it it's still howling? How'd the run up Axle Alley go? Get up both falls unassisted?

I don't know if it'll help any, but there was a write up on Avalache Engineerings site about how to bleed a full hydro system....FWIW, they said you needed to bleed the system with the tires off the ground too.

HTH,
Sean

·
Registered
601 Posts
Here's one of the ram on mine :D

Seriously....i'll take lots of close-ups tonight.

Sean...AA was cool...didn't make the 1st / last falls without cable :(

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Mike,
Hmm....I'm surprised. I figured with your tires and your WB, you'd have been fine. Maybe you're shorter wheelbase than I thought???

Anyway....cool pic of the Grand.

Take care and good luck with the steering problem.

Sean

·
Registered
59 Posts
I love pictures. Can anyone else notice what the issue is here ????.( hint: it's all about the hose size)

These hoses are all the same size !!! This does not allow the pump feed side to keep up with the pump pressure side, therefore causing the WHINING.

I'll get a photo and show you what im talking about.

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
Supply lines need to be bigger than the pressure lines ... and the various loop-de-loops can't be all that great for bleeding, either. Too many places for air to hang out...

The folks at Howe Performance are pretty particular about their plumbing recommendations. IIRC, the suggestion is AN10-6-8 (feed/pressure/return)...

Randii

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hose Photo

O.K. Here's a look at what we're talking about, These are both -10 hoses the high pressure one is 1/2" i.d. ,The low pressure(push lock style) is 5/8" i.d.

This a common problem when plumbing your systems, You need to make sure that you check the I.D.of the hoses when purchasing them. The -6 pressure should be 5/16"I.D. The -8 return should be 1/2" I.D. and the -10 feed line should be 5/8" I.D. It's all about the FLOW.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,568 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts