Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Who fabricates RC D60 Housings?

Thinking about building my own axle housing and buying the internals ...anyone done it, had one built, or know who builds them, or am i crazy and it's cost prohibitive? Want a 78-79 Ford 60, too lazy to find one. Thanx -David

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanx fer the info, but I'm thinking more along the lines of an entirely fabricated housing...just because i need a housing, not some fancypants rockcrawling alxe. i've seen some in magazines but can't remember where or who...?

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Are you talkng about buying the center section or building the center section?

If you need soemone to build the axle just about any competent shop should be able to do it.

Bryan Whaley at Whaley Enterprises built my 9" dana 60 hybrids.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
EYE want to build my OWN housing...entirely fabbed, no bought parts except maybe Cs, knuckels, and of course internals. I wanna to see what others have done...don't see a site for welderbilt?????

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I not EYE, and that sounds like a pain in the ass. Why not put all that energy into something more productive and that actually increase the performance of your rig.

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
Not sure if anyone has fabricated a 60 housing, all the fabricated housings I've seen or heard of are for a drop out type center like a yota or 9". It would be a real pain in the ass to fabricate a center with enough accuracy to get the bearing bores and pinion depth exactly right. Exercise in frustration.

Give it a shot and post up pics when your done, I wanna see this.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I said EYE so i could capitalize it for emphasis. And a hipin 60 WILL increse the perf of my rig, i'm replacing a junk '98 dodge housing. work in my fmaily's machine/welding shop...my brother is a cad/cam machininst, we have boring bars, etc that i would need. if ifind a way to do it, i might build a couple/few and sell 'em. someone should have started doing it a long time ago. everyone is always running around screaming for a hipin 60, if someone would just build a bunch of basic inexpensive housings, they could make some $ and save everyone else $ and hassle. BTW if anyone has a centersection or other parts layin' around i might cobble one together. THANX all

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
If you're willing to make your own center section, how about making a more "standard" fabbed housing like you can get for the 9" or Toyota axles, then making a dropout third member using RC D60 gears and carrier? A smart friend of mine talked about doing that a couple years back, but nothing ever came of it, AFAIK. I'd love to see that as an option.

While you're at it, make the third member with adjuster nuts for the carrier bearings instead of shims.

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
lots of guys have gone off and made their own center sections for high pinion 60's and your right there is alot of demand from people to buy them some some of the better "home made " centers are now available from places like

teraflex
rockcrusher
currie
crane
dynatrac

if you got the skills and the equipment to improve on the current designs then by all means join the fun and build it.

idea...so far everybody has taken the casting approach.....how about a billet 300m fully machined center? :D

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Billet = $$$$...so NOBODY makes a fabricated centersection for the 60?...i wonder if there's a reason i'm not seeing...

·
Premium Member
30,419 Posts
davyjeeper said:
Billet = $$$$...so NOBODY makes a fabricated centersection for the 60?...i wonder if there's a reason i'm not seeing...
same reason nobody makes a fabricated 3rd member for a ford 9"....cause it will not be strong enuff.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
I think a fabricated 60 center could be made, and made strong enough... but by the time you add up the time to build it, the machine work (has to be machined after it's fab'd if you want it to be true) involved, etc., it's cheaper to make it from billet, and cheaper yet to make it from a casting.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
a billet high clearance, high pinion CS would be saweet. If it was under 1600 I would probanly buy one :)

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I think the main reason Davyjxxper posted was to build one *inexpensive, now stop all this billet talk :D Why doesn't someone at Dana or AAM axle division WAKE THE FAWK UP & realize they are missing a huge money making opportunity! All *they gotta do is rework the oiling passages, shave it some, & offer that product as a "rock crawler" housing. And, to keep it in the low cost theme, offer the RC housing around $400 -
$500. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LC Hamma said:
I think the main reason Davyjxxper posted was to build one *inexpensive, now stop all this billet talk :D Why doesn't someone at Dana or AAM axle division WAKE THE FAWK UP & realize they are missing a huge money making opportunity! All *they gotta do is rework the oiling passages, shave it some, & offer that product as a "rock crawler" housing. And, to keep it in the low cost theme, offer the RC housing around $400 -
$500. :grinpimp:
LC Hamma understands me...under $1600?! I don't have $1600 to my name! I just want a decent axle under my dodge, cuz this junk keeps beaking and it's expensive...and under my jeep when i get rich SOMEday. If someone would just set up and turn out a bunch of axles, we'd all be rockin'.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts