Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for somebody that can remove wheel bearings/ backing plates from a pair of pickup axles. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
773 Posts
You can. Put a piece of plywood on concrete. Slam axle into ground while holding by backing plate.
Yup, this works great. Slam the shit out of it! Long piece of steel tube to beat the new bearings on works good for reassembling.

·
Premium Member
29,409 Posts
huh, plywood. that's a good idea

I've done the slam on concrete, then use a file on the splines a few times :rasta:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried the redneck method. Pulled the clips and slammed it on a cutting board on the driveway. I couldn't tell it moved.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
If parts are rusty or youre a pussy, this method will not work. Its pretty simple to build a jig.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Question: using the slam it on plywood method, does the bearing come off in one piece? Or does it tear the bearing apart and I will have to grind the inner race off?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Question: using the slam it on plywood method, does the bearing come off in one piece? Or does it tear the bearing apart and I will have to grind the inner race off?
It all comes out complete. Wear thick gloves and raise it above your head, then send it down hard! It takes a few hits, pb blaster helps

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
DO NOT use heat at all. It takes some effort sometimes. Set your purse down and use both hands. :flipoff2:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
On the last one I did I used a grinder to score the lock rings(yes rings, Bc it’s a 97 4runner with ABS) and busted them with a chisel. It made disassembly a lot easier using the plywood method

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
Slice the lock rings with a die grinder, smack slice with blunt chisel, ring will crack and slide off easily. Bearings will basically fall off with a few more taps on the block of wood. I've done dozens of rust belt Yotas using that method. I had access to a press every time, what I posted is faster.

To install, get pipe that fits around race and is long enough to go over the entire axle plus a few inches. Slide on bearing, slide pipe up and down to seat it, install new lock ring and use pipe and hammer to "press" it on. Easy peasy

·
Premium Member
1,281 Posts
If you dont have new lock rings, get some. Your not going to save them. Even when pressed off they tend to dig in to the shaft and gaul up and get stuck. When that happens, you have to cut them. Skip a step and save time. :grinpimp:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts