Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take that next step with my truck that would make it non streetable. But it's my only vehicle, so I need a rig that's reliable enough to DD, and a good enough hauler to pull from Cali to AZ a couple times a year, to the Con, and to the Hammerz a lot.

I'm thinking diesel is the best bet, probably Dodge turbo manual tranny...or maybe just some old cheap something? I heard the Chevy deisels aren't reliable, and I am very much against Fords for my own reasons, but if the price is right.......I don't know.

At this point, I have no money, so I have to start saving. I can pick up an old cheap rig pretty soon, but what would be reliable? Or maybe put 3-5K down on a used vehicle, but with very little credit?

School me please

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I have been running my 93 dodge as a dd..I was driving my 4 runner just for fuel mileage but the dodge is better now that there are gears and bigger tires on the runner..So for the past 3 years the dodge has held up great for a dd..Cummins/auto/d-70rear d-60 front 205,and 20mpg..It had 56k when I bought it 5 years ago..Now pushing 167K...Lots of towing to the rock and coast with 0 problems..A few upgrades but no problems,,(knock on wood)..I also have a suburban with does a grate job at towing but the fuel mileage sucks so its not the ideal dd unless its just to work and back..The burban only pulls 13-14 on the highway(and thats driving easy) and 10-12 loaded driving normal.If I get on it and let the flow masters ring the unladed mileage drops to 10-12..he he..Go figure huh...:D

·
Vendor
1,342 Posts
I DD my 02 Ram Cummins, but I also own a small construction company and am towing a trailer and/ or hauling something pretty much every day. I think you need to look at how many miles you drive and how many miles you tow to help you deside on diesel or gas. I went diesel but I put about 30k miles a year on my truck.

Scott

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I DD my 93 ford factory turbo, I put about 20,000 miles a year on it, and the biggest problem I've had with it was having to redo the breaks when I bought it 4 years ago...motorwise I just change the oil at the reccomended intervals, change the filters and check the coolant additive, I've never had a motor problem in the 4 years I've owned it, and it's ticking past 200,000 miles now...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
i drive my 97 dodge 3500 4x every day. i log right at 500 miles a week. i have bumped the power up and the miliage has stayed the same. but i can't seem to keep my foot out of it. it got 17 mpg last tank and that included pulling my new trailer[36'] 100 miles. hands down the cummins wins for lasting a long time, cheap power up grades, and miliage. and this is coming from some one that was a serious ford truck man. my truck puts out over 350+ hp at the rear wheels, 850+ fpt and it only has 206k on it. i did replace the clutch and transmission to handle this power level. if you look around you can get one for a fair price that has not been dogged out. i bought mine for 9999.00 out of the auto trader, and it is a slt 5 speed extended cab. the 96 to 98 5 speed 12valve trucks are the cheapest to get big power from. but any of them can be bumped up pretty cheap. mike

·
Registered
7,592 Posts
dang, and the tires tell the story of the 200 ,iles, they look like slicks. jiMMy

·
Premium Member
25,817 Posts
40 miles to work every day. It's a bitch to park though. Had it 3 months and 5800 miles. Still have a smile on my face when I get in it. :D

Don't like the payment though! :(

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I used to when I had only a 1 ton. Bought a F-550 last time around, also got a pavement princess 91 4Runner at the same time for a DD. I would say try to get an old Dodge/Cummins for your 3-5K.

·
Poseur SUV
23,695 Posts
I DD my '90 F250. It's alright but I hate the regular cab, it's too damned small.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I DD a '93 Dodge cummins 4x4 extended cab to school everyday (about 40 miles each way). The only problem is the parking especially in the city. If you can get over that then you'll be fine. The extended cab is nice to have as well so at least you can put some of the important junk in the cab so it doesn't get stolen. The extended part of the cab is kinda like my trunk.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I DD my 98 Ram 2500 Cummins 5-spd. Got it back in December. I only live 3 miles from work but have put 10,000 miles on it since I got it. I drive it everywhere and love every second of it. I love watching through the mirror the black smoke pour from the pipe when I nail it. Wish I had gotten it much sooner. I can't believe I used to drive my Jeep to the trail. Used to tow with a 1/2 GMC 2wd with a 305 and a 5-spd. For what that truck was, it did great towing but I know I was killing it. I'd definetly go with the 5-spd cummins again. Autos are no fun. I live in Cincinnati, Oh and sometimes have to go downtown. This truck barely fits in the parking garages (by only about an inch). It is stock height but has 33s on it.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I drive a eagle talon everyday to work and my wife is a stay at home mom and drives our 82 suburban with 454 for a grocery getter and soccor mom duties. I put on alot more miles than her and thought putting less miles on the tow rig would be wise as it has to work so hard on the weekends towing the toy!
So that may be an option for you if you have a significant other that is in a situation like mine..

·
H M F
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies.

From this and other research I've done, I think I'll go for a 12 valve CTD. That'll make 3 Dodge trucks sitting in my driveway:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts