Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says....Who has built a Toybox trailer.. themselves? I mean built from scratch not had a company build a basic box and then go from there.

I think a toybox is my best bet but I can't find one that can handle the weight of my FJ40 on tons/42's. I want it to be 24ft long with a slightly longer than normal tongue length. I just want the basics...toliet/shower, sink, and stove. I have had Mighty Mover price out a basic box and was like F that!! I know I can build it for probaby around $7000. Yes, I know it will be a shit ton of labor and some wheeling & dealing involved.

This is my current setup....

I am getting tired of dealing with the camper...unloading/loading. :shaking: And now I have a 1yr old son, so I want more interior space for him.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If only people would post build threads when they did this sort of thing... :shaking:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891668
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=933732

Or maybe even have a list of build threads so that you could find such things...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=860646

I guess I left out the fact that I did some searching!!:flipoff2:
I have looked at those builds and many others but, they are mostly putting a travel trailers on another trailer. That's not what I am looking for. I mean built the whole thing from the ground up. Those are some bitchin builds but, those are overkill for my needs and budget.

Lucky that you're on the west coast, there are some companies that make light weight toy haulers made to hold a truck, but not many-if you wanted ideas for a build. Forest River of course makes the work and play, but Carson Trailers on the west coast makes some interesting ones:

http://www.carsontrailer.com/subs/toy-hauler-trailers/rv-trailer-sport/rvtrailersport.html

Dune Sport seems to be another good one:

http://dunesport.com/index.php

I would love something like those but I am a poor white guy just trying to live the dream!:laughing: There are some good ideas there. This Carson.... Toy Hauler RV Sport Trailers > XL Front Kitchen...I actually looked at and talked to them about beefing it up for my setup....25K by the time all was said and done. That Carson is basically what I want. I need to build it myself.... out of pocket.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts

That's not what I am looking for.
I love how people come on and say "show me blah blah blah" and then back up and say they didn't tell the whole story...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have looked at those builds and many others but, they are mostly putting a travel trailers on another trailer. That's not what I am looking for. I mean built the whole thing from the ground up. Those are some bitchin builds but, those are overkill for my needs and budget.

I would love something like those but I am a poor white guy just trying to live the dream!:laughing: There are some good ideas there. This Carson.... Toy Hauler RV Sport Trailers > XL Front Kitchen...I actually looked at and talked to them about beefing it up for my setup....25K by the time all was said and done. That Carson is basically what I want. I need to build it myself.... out of pocket.
I did the exact same thing and passed b/c of price. I know I've seen a thread where a guy built his own on here, I'll try to find it.

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
I helped my buddy while he was building a 40 foot fifth wheel. At the time he had budgeted $10000 for the trailer and its set up to carry a Pro 2 truck and his Class 9 car along with all the tools, tires, spare body work etc. It is still a work in progress but is mostly all done and usable in the meantime. It is way overbudget at this point and a bit overengineered weight wise but was not that difficult to build but you will need help building it especially when attaching the aluminum siding which comes in rolls and also for the rubber roof etc. Even the steel for the structure is heavy and long so an extra set of hands or two is always appreciated to speed up the build. The main thing is to try and have an enclosed or at least covered workspace to use to build it as its a pain to keep it covered up with tarps etc protecting it from rain and dew etc.

Jason :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
So what are you doing building? Buying?

Im in the same boat, want to get rid of the cabover and get into something bigger/more usable.

·
1962 YellowSubmarine
11,423 Posts
when I was pricing out building vs buying, I found millennium trailers to be the cheapest for a custom built. I was pricing out a 42' footer if I remember right and it was like $35 or $38K, when a "production built" one was nearly double that with shit like ceiling fans and stainless appliances I didn't need or want. It was extra tall and reinforced to handle my 6200# wagon in the garage. might try them for a quote.

http://www.milltrailers.com/

I think your $7K budget is a bit low, and you'll find the reason we all start with a trailer and modify from there. Without a strict scope of work and well laid out plan and use of materials, you'll have a lot of waste. Also, your time is worth something...

:usa:

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
depending on your ability as well as access to a rather large garage/shop you can save a lot of money by building the trailer from the ground up.
one possibility would be to buy one of the southwest wheels trailer kits like this ;
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-2281-10400-lb-brake-axle-trailer-kit-both-axles-with-brakes.aspx

~ $ 1800 will get you all the parts you need (except the steel :p) to build the base trailer (~ $ 250 more would get you the 14k set for "peace of mind" axle and coupler capacity).

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot about this thread! :laughing:

So what are you doing building? Buying?

Im in the same boat, want to get rid of the cabover and get into something bigger/more usable.
I am not doing anything for awhile. Going through the big D right now. But I will be building it and doing it to my specs/needs...later on. I just wanted to research it and get ideas and do's/don'ts from other who have done it before. I want it to be as short as possible and still fit my cruiser or my hot rod without any issuses.

when I was pricing out building vs buying, I found millennium trailers to be the cheapest for a custom built. I was pricing out a 42' footer if I remember right and it was like $35 or $38K, when a "production built" one was nearly double that with shit like ceiling fans and stainless appliances I didn't need or want. It was extra tall and reinforced to handle my 6200# wagon in the garage. might try them for a quote.

http://www.milltrailers.com/

I think your $7K budget is a bit low, and you'll find the reason we all start with a trailer and modify from there. Without a strict scope of work and well laid out plan and use of materials, you'll have a lot of waste. Also, your time is worth something...

:usa:
I agree that my budget is probably a little low but I figured it would be useable at that price...just not finished. I want a very basic trailer with shower/shitter, sink, and stove. No, it won't be a pos but it won't have faux granite countertops and stuff like that.

You are right my time is worth something! But I will know how everything works and where everything is at, if anything ever goes wrong. I want no payments for anything other than a house anymore. Besides it would take me like 10yrs to save up and pay cash for prebuilt trailer! :laughing:

depending on your ability as well as access to a rather large garage/shop you can save a lot of money by building the trailer from the ground up.
one possibility would be to buy one of the southwest wheels trailer kits like this ;
http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-2281-10400-lb-brake-axle-trailer-kit-both-axles-with-brakes.aspx

~ $ 1800 will get you all the parts you need (except the steel :p) to build the base trailer (~ $ 250 more would get you the 14k set for "peace of mind" axle and coupler capacity).
Thanks for that link! I would be using the 14k or maybe even the 16k kit. I am a truck driver so, I don't want to be getting an overload ticket or something like that. I have access to a large garage to build it in. I just need to build it as fast as I can once I start. I think the hardest part (for me) will be what size material and axle placement for the different loads the trailer will see, without it being an overbuilt heavy turd or an underbuilt pos. The cruiser is being built right now and I figure it will be around 5k and 13ft. The hot rod is like 3k and almost 17ft. I guess I would plan it like I am hauling 17ft and 5k, right? What kind of money do think I would be at for steel? I am thinking between $1000 to 1500.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
I am kind of in the same boat you are (need a toyhauler, don't want a payment, don't have a ton of cash). One idea I had was to find a used box truck body and build a trailer under it. Building a basic trailer frame is easy, building a water tight box that will last is the hard part. I have found 24' truck bodys for as cheap as $800. I would think they would be all over the place down there in Riverside.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am kind of in the same boat you are (need a toyhauler, don't want a payment, don't have a ton of cash). One idea I had was to find a used box truck body and build a trailer under it. Building a basic trailer frame is easy, building a water tight box that will last is the hard part. I have found 24' truck bodys for as cheap as $800. I would think they would be all over the place down there in Riverside.

Actually, I have a line on one for $800 but, it is not even close to being tall enough! That might be a way to go but the one real problem I see is getting the box in the air in order to get the trailer underneath of it. But I am sure if there is a will, there is a way.

On a side note...aren't you the one with a street legal Xchassis? If you are, I saw that thing at TDS....It's badass!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
^ this ;)
hard to beat the price of a used commercial box

commercial body`s are fairly lightweight (if you stay away from FRP) and the quality is very high
... look for things like a one piece aluminum roof that is bonded to the roof beams and extrusions that place the perimeter rivets outside the wall structure (virtually impossible to ever leak) as well as high rivet count in the walls
(if you find a body that uses huckbolts in critical areas that would be even better)

usually the floor is the heavy part (depending on cross I-beam spacing)
they are usually 1 1/4" Apitong (sp?) hardwood spec`d for very high point-load (like forklift,pallet jack, etc)
but removing every second beam under light load areas (like under the living section) could reduce some weight.
the main I- beams are at the wrong place (usually 34" spacing) and most likely too weak (designed to sit on/be supported by the truck frame)
but as am4x4 posted it would be easy to just build a new main frame under it out of rectangular box tubing or I-beams.
if it would be my trailer project i would not cut the lower main aluminum floor/wall extrusion for the wheels (that beam is very important to the structural integrity of the box) ;
i would probably look for a 102' wide body, tub the inside and go with slightly narrower (96" OD) axles (so that the extrusion can clear the outside of the tires)
makes changing tires a little harder but keeps the box stronger.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
... but the one real problem I see is getting the box in the air in order to get the trailer underneath of it. But I am sure if there is a will, there is a way...
there is nothing that elbow grease, a jack and a couple of blocks can not solve :p

getting the box home could also be a problem for some (obviously not for you if you already have a large flatbed trailer)
i know of a truck body place in Phoenix that has about 5 acres of body`s in every form and shape ...
maybe if you get the body from a place like that you may could make a deal that they hold the body for you a little longer.
take the dimensions and build the trailer frame first and then drive over there and set the body temporary on it (onto some timbers)
strap it down, drag it home and then customize it to fit permanently...
... just thinking out loud :p

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
there is nothing that elbow grease, a jack and a couple of blocks can not solve :p

getting the box home could also be a problem for some (obviously not for you if you already have a large flatbed trailer)
i know of a truck body place in Phoenix that has about 5 acres of body`s in every form and shape ...
maybe if you get the body from a place like that you may could make a deal that they hold the body for you a little longer.
take the dimensions and build the trailer frame first and then drive over there and set the body temporary on it (onto some timbers)
strap it down, drag it home and then customize it to fit permanently...
... just thinking out loud :p
I like that line of thinking.....got any room and a spare welder?:D

This is an interesting appoarch to this. I am going to start paying attention to truck bodies...styles/shape/sizes/etc.

commercial body`s are fairly lightweight (if you stay away from FRP) and the quality is very high
... look for things like a one piece aluminum roof that is bonded to the roof beams and extrusions that place the perimeter rivets outside the wall structure (virtually impossible to ever leak) as well as high rivet count in the walls
What is FRP?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts