Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And how complicated is it? I have a line on an 87 Turbo Supra in great shape for a great price.

Thinking about driving it for a year then pulling the motor for my truck.

Any opinions?

Search only turned up one hit.

John

·
Registered
20,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw that superrunner did it but his is a 94. I'm thinking about buying this car anyway just to drive it so?? I just don't know.

It's an 87 Supra Turbo A+ condition in and out for 2500.00.

Like I said. I don't really need it but it sounds fun. Then when I manage to mangle it, I can put the motor in the 4Runner.

I does sound complicated.....

I just don't know..... Wish I could talk to someone who has actually done it in a 1st Gen.

John

·
Registered
595 Posts
My brother just finished putting one (an 87 turbo) in his 85 xtra cab. Its not a runner but its similar. Heres a post he did.

http://bb.bc4x4.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16299

Hope this kinda helps. Email if you got questions.

My opinion? After driving his truck.. Id say do it. Its lighter than an american motor and its stock ~230 hp. Drive it for a year like you say and collect the parts you need while waiting.

Russ

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Interesting... He use a W58 bellhouding and a W56 transmission. The main concern for me is that SuperRunner has pretty much proven that a W56 tranny isn't up to the task of handling that much power by destroying two of them.

This swap pretty much requires the R151 transmission unless you leave the motor bone stock, and there's no way I'd be able to do that to a motor whichi so easy to wake up. ;)

A couple easy bolt-on sesions will easily pull 250-300 HP out of this motor... Some more extensive work on the turbocharger's intercooler an other related parts, along with upgrading injectors and swapping in a Lexus AFM to provide the extra air & fuel, etc, etc, will put you up into the 400Hp neighborhood.

There's lots of good info on building a 7MGTE to be found on www.supraforums.com

·
Registered
174 Posts
you might wanna search google for "7m-gte swap" and "7mgte swaps"... you'll hit a lot of swaps of the 7m put into supras that had a 5m, but a lot of the tech of the swap would be the similar, and the more familiar you are with the engine and electronics, the better. [which would also a another good reason to run the engine in the supra for a yr or so ;]

and take lots of pics of the project!

good luck.

gene.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
when i first joined the board a lot of people were talking about the conversion, and i think quite a few people did them. Toydawg and i tried to search for them (he is interested in the swap too) and we only came up with newer posts by SuperRunner.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
TNToy said:
Interesting... He use a W58 bellhouding and a W56 transmission. The main concern for me is that SuperRunner has pretty much proven that a W56 tranny isn't up to the task of handling that much power by destroying two of them.

[/url]
Superrunner also has blown about everything on his truck. He keeps upping the boost and overall power. You'd have a great start on the swap, the important thing besides a functioning engine and turbo is the computer and harness. I've done some reading on the swap and it really doesn't seem bad, I'd say no harder than a 3.4 swap.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Paul Elbisser over on outdoorwire has a regular NA 7MGE in his truck, or runner, or whatever it is...

Do a search over there too, quite a few people have done them over there....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The swap really isn't all that hard. Once you decide where in the engine compartment you are goint to put it(such as, lower, further back), they you can decide how your motor mounts should be. That is one of the harder parts.

I have now done 3 of them in trucks, 2 in cars.

One in my 4runner with 2" body lift, then I lifted the drivetrain up 2 inches and back 2 inches. Was v6

Time: 34 hours, but that included auto to manual conversion, and a dual t-case, with front range off-road x-member.

Helped on a 93 pickup, no body lift, but lifted drivetrain 2 inches and back 2 inches(had to cut out tranny tunnel and build new one), was v6.

Time: 30 hours over a month, and this included extra wiring for the Auto and auto ECT controller.

92 2wd pickup 4cyl. Used stock engine mounts in truck and 5m mounts on the motor. motor sits a little high, and because it was high, required slight hammer adjustment on a couple places on the firewall, but nothing serious.

Time: 24 hours over a week.

You can't beat the power. You don't even need lexus afm and 550cc injectors to get to 400 hp. I got 260 rwhp +35% for drivetrain, is around 400hp, and 400ft/lbs of torque. All I have is an upgraded stock turbo which isn't really doing me any good because I can't run over 11psi without leaning out too much because my fuel system needs to be upgraded. With more fuel, my setup can handle 20-25 psi.

I highly recommend this swap. I am planning on doing another swap in my 89 2wd pickup early next month. I actually just ordered 3 more 7MGTE's today.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If anyone is interested I know where there's a Supra sitting that could be had for free if you pick it up... it's been sitting for awhile and they just want it out of there. Not sure if it runs... I could check if anyone wants it. (Not sure of the year or if it's the 5M or 7M).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
TRD said:
so SuperRunner

how much $ does the swap cost
It all depends really.

Here is a price list for my 89 pickup I will be doing shortly.

complete engine with turbo shipped to door $758
clutch assembly $75
timing belt $20
ECU - already have
wire harness - already have
ignigter and injector controller - already have
radiator $120
coolant hoses $20
elect fans $120-$200
fuel line $30
turbo fuel pump - used $30
5M motor mounts and bellhousing - pick n' pull $40
exhaust $200
air flow meter - $50 - $100
solder/wire/shrink tube $20

total cost = $1483 to $1613

add another $250 to $300 for the parts you would have to get that I already had.

So, if you can find a turbo donor car for say $1500, that will cover most of your cost. About the only thing you have to get would be the bellhousing, 5m mounts, electric fans, and exhaust, the car would contain everything else.

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
SuperRunner said:

It all depends really.

Here is a price list for my 89 pickup I will be doing shortly.

complete engine with turbo shipped to door $758
clutch assembly $75
timing belt $20
ECU - already have
wire harness - already have
ignigter and injector controller - already have
radiator $120
coolant hoses $20
elect fans $120-$200
fuel line $30
turbo fuel pump - used $30
5M motor mounts and bellhousing - pick n' pull $40
exhaust $200
air flow meter - $50 - $100
solder/wire/shrink tube $20

total cost = $1483 to $1613

add another $250 to $300 for the parts you would have to get that I already had.

So, if you can find a turbo donor car for say $1500, that will cover most of your cost. About the only thing you have to get would be the bellhousing, 5m mounts, electric fans, and exhaust, the car would contain everything else.
damn, not bad.

where do you get your motors from?

Toydawg, are you paying attention :flipoff2:

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
well, I kind of argued the price down. I used to be able to get them a little cheaper. Plus I orded 3 motors, so I got even more of a discount on shipping.

I would plan on paying $650-$750 per motor from

www.usedjapaneseengines.com - GO MOTORS

then add shipping to that. $175 for a single motor from there to Utah. If you live close enough to them, you go go pick it up yourself.

·
Registered
20,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the info Superrunner.

XRunner, I'm droolin' over those pics....

Unfortunately, I lost out on the car deal. I didn't move fast enough. I knew it was a great deal and I was looking forward to zipping around in that car for a year or so first too! Damn...I'm keeping my eyes out for another one.

John

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
SuperRunner, what bellhousing are you using between that motor and all the W56s/R151s you've broken... er... used?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts