Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be stretching the form a little but it's a tool I guess haha. I just picked up a bobcat 600 with a blown motor. I am looking at a V twin swap but honestly that's the least of my worries. I have not even begun to look at the hydraulics or the drive clutches. Does any one have any tips or tricks with these old machines?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I've had a 630 for about seventeen years. Change the filters and fluids, keep them topped off, lubricate everything, and that's about it.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to hear have you had any problems with the fuel or hydro tank built into the frame? The machine I got has been sitting for a while so I was thinking about maybe cutting the top off the tank to clean it out then re weld it. Or put a new tank some where.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
No issues on either one, but mine was in use up to the time I purchased it and I've taken decent care of it. On mine the fuel tank is plastic and I've actually expected I would have had to replace it, but never a leak.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I may just add a new fuel tank some where. Well I'm glad to gear you like the machine I'm hoping that after the motor swap I won't have many other problems. I only paid a grand for the machine so I figure if I have it going for under 5k I'm not doing to bad.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I only paid $4500 for mine in running condition. I have to admit that I'm up against the capacity of it more and more lately (only 1000 lbs.). I do have a Kubota diesel to swap into it at some point. The current Wisconsin is getting pretty tired.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i had a 64 m500 only real issue with the tank was some rust in it, just got a couple of the biggest inline fuel filters from the parts store, i would put the spare on when one plugged up, not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found at least 2 places that sell kits to to bolt in a 35hp Briggs v twin for like 3 grand soup to nuts. I don't think it's a bad deal and I figure the 5 extra hp will help it out a bit. My machine needs a paint job pretty bad I'm on the edge of full restoration or just get it to run and beat on it haha.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
Getting the Service Manual and Parts Manual definitely helps. I found mine on eBay. The SM gives you all the maintenance and how to R&R everything. First, the PM helps in having a number when you go in for a part rather than taking in a part and saying "This is that thing that is connected to that other thing that's behind the big thing." And it also gives much better diagrams of how everything is connected and goes together. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a diagram in the SM manual and stood there thinking "What in the everlovin' fawk is that? I don't see anything remotely like that on my machine..."

·
Premium Member
7,177 Posts
Before I spent 3500 on a new motor I would do my best to make sure everything else is in workable condition. Can you at least get the motor running so you can test the hydraulics?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Before I spent 3500 on a new motor I would do my best to make sure everything else is in workable condition. Can you at least get the motor running so you can test the hydraulics?

Not with out spending some money (a lot) on it. It's frozen and I got more water out of it then oil. Well it came out after I scraped the sludge out that was blocking the drain haha. The machine really only has a pump, cylinders, and lines to go bad though. So I feel like it's not to much of a gamble there. I think I am at the point with it that I like the machine enough that I would probably do a full restoration. For what I am looking to do it is a really nice size and it's not crazy complicated or hard to work on at all. Maybe I'm crazy haha, the only thing that I really don't like is it does not have the Bob-tach system.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
If you can find one used, you can likely swap a Bob-tach onto it.

They are pretty simple to work on, but particularly if you're doing more than just replacing a couple parts the manuals will help with how it comes apart, how it goes back together, and what all the tolerances are.

If the motor is in that bad of shape, I'd be a bit concerned about what the hydraulic system is like...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ya I bought it knowing this could get expensive. I will say the hydraulic fluid looks good but its red. That tells me it's ATF I think. I have no idea if that's what the machine uses but at least it's clean haha. The machines I have run in the past I never put ATF in them but

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
. It's frozen and I got more water out of it then oil. Well it came out after I scraped the sludge out that was blocking the drain haha.

It's a wisonsin motor, clean it and run it as is. Think of it like a big lawnmower engine, they don't die easily.

The heads come off, put oil on the pistons, work it, put it back together. I would reuse the head gaskets.

·
Registered
14,457 Posts
I will say the hydraulic fluid looks good but its red. That tells me it's ATF I think.
Well, technically ATF is hydraulic fluid. Mine actually calls for motor oil in the hydraulic system.

·
Registered
42 Posts
local shop only wanted $350 to rebuild the hydro pump, it only runs the lift hydro, machine is belt/clutch and chain driven. mine came with a bobtach setup on it but it would be easy enough to get a universal plate and weld ears on it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts