Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i have a 26' by 36' shop with 2"x4" roof truss' at 9' from the ground. I'm planning on putting in a 2 post lift, and i've heard of guys vaulting their ceilings to allow them to lift their trucks more than 2 foot off the ground.

who has done it? show me some pics of how you re-enforced your rafters and truss' to support the weight of the asphalt roof.

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
also do you plan on spanning the 26' or 36'?
2' on center?
whats the snow load there?
Good points, about engineered trusses, but....
Snow load in Birmingham ALABAMA:laughing:

·
Addicted to Gear Oil
9,986 Posts
There was a similar thread before, might have to do some searching. Something like: "how to raise my roof"?

I agree there is a lot more to it than ripping down some sheetrock and scabbing on some 2x6's and calling it good, a couple of the guys designed trusses for a living and had some good input...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Talk to a truss manufacturer and tell them what you want to do. They will have an answer for you and will provide engineer stamped blueprints outlining the install requirments.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Talk to a truss manufacturer and tell them what you want to do. They will have an answer for you and will provide engineer stamped blueprints outlining the install requirments.
yup. just tell them you need the drawings so you can get a permit. I know around here you need the drawings and cost for the permit.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
like the other guy said there is no snow here, and as for permits, i live outside the city limits, so there is no need.

i'm just looking for design ideas on how to scab in some 2x6's and maybe tie into the truss' that dont get cut. it looks like 3 of the existing truss' will need to be cut

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I understand you dont need a permit. BUT, If you get a quote from them and just tell them you are needing the drawings for a permit they will give them to you. Otherwise its more likely they wont. When I used to design trusses thats how it worked for us.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts