Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the successful teams have great spotters. Do you think their success is mostly attributed to the Spotter or Driver?

Lets hear it!

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Not just agreeing with "da man" but .... Driver.

One reason? The driver has to be smart enough to LISTEN to the spotter and or ask questions...
j

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
I think it is both, but the spotter has to be the the biggest part as far as people......The driver needs to trust the spotter, and be willing to go where ever the spotter tells him too.

I trust my spotter with everything, and together with a great rig we dont do too bad........

Im just crazy enough to go where he tells me too.

·
Registered
7,957 Posts
jca said:
I think the whole team is important. In any sport! If you don't have one of them what good is the other? What about the guy(s) or gal(s) that help wrench on the vehicle? If they slack on their assigned task's and you brake on the first obstacle, being the best driver or spotter ain't going to help much.
I also agree with this....

Along with myself and my spotter, we have 2 other people in our pit crew that help out when we need it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lance, your response kinda came unexpected.

Isn't the Driver ONLY following the Spotter's directions. The Spotter has a much better view of the situation.

Sure, everyone on the Football team is equally important. That's why the Quarter back makes 10-20x's more then the center. :rolleyes:

;)

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
KingOf_Pain said:
Lance, your response kinda came unexpected.

Isn't the Driver ONLY following the Spotter's directions. The Spotter has a much better view of the situation.

Sure, everyone on the Football team is equally important. That's why the Quarter back makes 10-20x's more then the center. :rolleyes:

;)
Yeah but the driver has to be able to know how to drive.. doesnt matter if you have the best spotter in the world.. if the driver is shit, you go no where.. The driver should trust the spotter..

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Spotter, because anyone can operate levers and pedals, but it takes a pro to "SPOT" which routs are best, and how to adjust and cope with complications. The spotter also has "the better view". They can usually see what the driver cant.

-SMART ASS

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
Driver

I have done both driving and spotting in a number events and there are just some things that a good driver can do that others drivers can't.

You can't tell a driver exactly how much throttle to use and when. Many drivers use to much or two little at any given time. Sure you can tell the driver they need to get it, or tell them they need to crawl a given section. Often very precise throttle use is needed.

Sure the spotter needs to know how sharp the rig can turn and pick good lines but that information is only secondary. It's the driver that has to combine what he sees and what the spotter tell him.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sure, everyone on the Football team is equally important. That's why the Quarter back makes 10-20x's more then the center.

If you dont have a good line then the qb ends up on his ass all the time. No chance of looking like a hero from there and early retirement for medical reasons. Qb's look even better if you have someone that can run with the ball to keep the "D" out of rythem. If you dont have a "D" then the best qb aint going to help. The best teams are the ones that can bring the whole game:rolleyes: :flipoff2:

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Driver

Both ImKunFused and Smartass havent driven semi extreme to extreme vehicles for a long time. Once you have been in a highly capable vehicle you can easily see that no matter what the spotter tells you there are times that from behind the wheel you know which way is best.
Sure the spotter is extremely important and the driver needs to listen to them, but, I think its best that the spotter knows exactly where the driver will want to go before he even gets there. Then there is no conflict on where to go or how to do it. Being on the same page is the key.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
I've seen a terrable driver do fairly well because she listened to spotting, she even had to listen to spotting between obsticles and still managed to mangle a tierod between obsticles....

tha being said the situations where a little speed is needed it becomes all driver, once your comited to a line the spotter is pretty much done.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The Rockslut said:
... think its best that the spotter knows exactly where the driver will want to go before he even gets there. Then there is no conflict on where to go or how to do it. Being on the same page is the key.
ESP? I think not... :flipoff2:

:D Its cool man, we all have our own opinions :usa:

-smart ass

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
It wasnt a personal attack on you or Imkunfused.

Communication is the key, it may be verbal or non, i know that half the time that i spot for someone on the trail I know which way they are going without even asking. I see the line and they head for it. Then I help them IF they need it. A driver doesnt need someone to walk him through every inch of the trail just because the spotter has a better view.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The spotter is a tool. Linelocks, twinsticks, spotters....all tools for the driver to use. A good spotter is very useful but it's not gonna make a good driver.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
The Rockslut said:
Driver
... I think its best that the spotter knows exactly where the driver will want to go before he even gets there. Then there is no conflict on where to go or how to do it. Being on the same page is the key.
Rockslut makes a good point. Being (and staying) on the same page is an important key.

There is usually time and enough view of (at least the first part of) a gate to chose and mutually agree upon a line to try first.
After that, a driver has to rely on thier spotter to be his eyes for not only what is directly under him, but also for rely on him to think ahead enough to help position the rig for the the next stage in the gate.
Good drivers are better spotters as they better understand thier job. When spotting, an experienced driver realizes and understands more how limited the forward view is from the cockpit.
A good spotter will not only help his driver through the immediate terrain, he should also be thinking ahead to help position the rig into the next phase due to his better vantange point.
But, the spotter should not abandon his driver to move to his next position without making sure the rigs rear wheels will clear that last cone or ledge.
A great spotter will not only be looking ahead, he will make sure the last obsticle is cleared and also indicate the path into the next phase before turning to move to his next position.

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Spotter.

Simple... the drivers gotta have skill.. the driver also has to know how to listen, and basically have "faith" in their spotter.

The spotter needs to read the terrain, find the best line, KNOW what the rig is capable of, be able to communicate and be/sound confident, pull on the yank strap to help the the rubber down, etc.

I have only heard of one driver that I would place above the spotter. This guy was able to drive a rock crawling section of TTC (Team Trophy Challenge) un-spotted in 1:40 while everyone else was closer to 3-4:00 w/ help. Which.. he then got out, ran back, and spotted his team mate. I'm sure there is more like that, but few and far between.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts