Pirate 4x4 banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really considering making the jump to 19.5" wheels. There are plenty of aftermarket wheels for 8x6.5" without having to go to the 10 lug adapters.

The tires will generally go 80k-100K. and, the price of the tires seems cheaper than a lot of the 235/85r16 size tires.

So, who runs them? Likes, Dislikes, etc.

I will be towing around 23-25K with this setup. My buggy or truggy will be in tow most of the time.

·
Registered
10,487 Posts
we run them on our F-550s. They gross out daily between 19,000 and 19,500 and run the stock 225s. They stock tires bridgestones run us till about 50K miles or so, usually less due to underfoot conditions these trucks run in. Michelin 225s last us between 80,000 and 100,000 miles. If you stepped up to 245s I'm sure you could get 100K out of them no worries.

The downfall to these is they will add some serious rotational mass when you compare them to a stock wheel / tire combo.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Scotty, I have 19.5s on my dodge . I have the 265/70/19.5 variety, as for braking no problems. There are a couple things to be aware of 19.5s are notoriously out of round, the cheaper the tire the more out of round they seem to be. In the same thought balancing can be a pain ! I tried powder,BBs weights even golf balls ! The best I found was Balance Masters its a centrifical continuous balancer Road feel .. due to the very hard sidewalls you feel every little crack and pebble on the road ! Play with your tire pressures till you find what you like. Over all I like my 19.5s , roughly 10k on mine and the still have the molding nubs so they should last a lot of miles.

·
no where new
703 Posts
I went to 19.5's after needing new wheels and tires for my 05 dodge. I wanted the piece of mind of running a tire rated for more weight. I figure my 8,000lb truck will help make the tires last where as the 08 F450 I looked at weighed in at 14k. I am happy with the tires, the square edge of tire grabs the grooves in the road more than other tires I've had. Towing I wouldn't go back to a load range E tire. I enjoy having the firm footed feeling of the 19.5s

Empty my truck sucks on rough roads. smooth roads its great. I lost about 1-2 mpg avg. I am running Vision Heavy haulers with P30 steel inner duals. I have less than $2500 in wheels and tires. Bridgestone M724's in 225/70

I've heard of people having balancing issues, the most weight I needed on mine were 2ozs.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I run them on my f550 work truck , they last a long time ride like shit but I like how they drive and feel a lot , my 3 ton diesel sports car hauls 10-15k every week and takes corners like a civic

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
I think there are a couple threads on this, but whatever.

I run 285/70r19.5s on my my Ex. With a mildly massaged 7.3, F350 suspension, airbags and a swapped in ZF6 it tows the shit out of trailers.

I have about 30k miles on these tires. PO said he had about 90 on them when I bought them. So at 120k they are getting a little thin and have some weather checking on them, but they still work FOR WHAT I DO.

19.5 plusses:

They are tough. They are easier to replace on the road, you can usually find them at truckstops and they have no safety bead so they are easier to get off the rim. They are very round, with the pressures they run they seem to roll better. They are also harder, which makes them roll better. They last forever. There are no more questions about weight capacity.

Negatives: They are heavy. So you need even lower gears if you want to tow. I would recommend minimum 4.10s even with 225s. I have 3.73s with my 285s and I am thinking about going to 4.30s. The rotational efficiencies of a hard round tire are absolutely killed by the sheer weight of the damn things.

They _can_ ride like shit. The taller the sidewall the better. My 285s ride better than the 245s at work. 285s at 90 PSI have a crap ton of capacity and dont ride much worse than my old 265/75r16s at 80 PSI.

They suck off road. They dont flex, they are hard, and you can not air them down.

Hell, they even suck in the snow and I can break them loose in the rain if I am rough on the accelerator.

Cliffs:

If you have lots of towing and miles to do, and deep gears, and dont mind a rougher ride for more capacity, they are great.

If you need to go to off road, go through snow, or need a comfortable ride above all else, maybe you should keep looking.

·
Registered
6,418 Posts
Ran'em loved 'em

Didn't notice any negatives on 245/70 Michelin XZE's, but definitely wasn't going to get 80k out of a set on the rear. I'd say 50-60k woulda done 'em in.
Tried every PSI from 15-90psi. Ran them around 80. the low pressure (less than 60) made my truck feel loose, like running on broken bias plys.

This is around 40k on the rears IIRC. Most of which was loaded over the legal 26k and over 100degree temps.

Heres a front with same miles.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good info.

I was thinking about going this route with the wheels.
19 5 x6 Eagle 0569 Polished Wheels Rims 8 Lug Dually | eBay

I can really only fit the 225/70r19.5 since I will rub the radius arms up front with anything bigger. I had been looking a lot at the Hercules tires as I have had very good luck with their trailer tires in the past, but I know this is a completely different animal. But, their 225s are less than $200/tire, so I might at least try a set out to see how they wear. All told I would be into this setup for around $1600 after selling off my current 16s with 235s for around $600-$700 I would think.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Here are some pics of my 89 F350 no lift, 265/70/19.5

Only about 3000 miles on them so far. Ride is ruff but didn't feel much of a difference from lt tires. Got a shimmy in the front end but with over 200 k and 3rd owner, I want to get it in for a front end alignment first.

The rims are P30 rims opened up to ford hub centric dia.

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Any cheap source for wheels? I can get tires fairly easily, my 86' 1 ton would love this setup...

·
Registered
28,768 Posts
old dilapidated class A motorhomes from the 80's. lots of them built on p30's. If it has a 454, chances are it has the wheels you need. Lots of them being parted or sold cheap because they're falling apart at this point.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
I considered them for my 2001 f350 drw but rough math said they wouldn't pay for themselves.

Just drove a coupler thousand miles with OEM DRW wheels wrapped in 235/85 rear and 265/75 fronts grossing 23,500 with no issues.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What's the best source for the single wheel 19.5s? Like what that excursion is running.

·
WHEEEEEEEEEE!
3,815 Posts
What's the best source for the single wheel 19.5s? Like what that excursion is running.
My Excursion is running Rickson SRW steel wheels. The most common Ford 8x170 19.5 SRW wheels I have come across are the Rickson steelies and the Vision aluminum rims. The Visions are lug centric and the Ricksons are hub centric.

I have seen some 8x6.5 SRW steel wheels taken from railroad trucks. They usually have some insane backspacing, but nothing some wheel spacers could not fix.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I have Michelin XZE on my tow rig. Balance beads did not work at all. The steel wheels I had at first were not true. I put the 2 best steels on the rear inner. Slight vibration now at 70 but good at 65 or 75.

I think the hard rubber compound also increases wet stopping distance. I have slid through a couple of red lights.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
I know when i had a CC SB F250 SRW, i had to put 1,000 pounds in the bed in a tuff box against the tailgate to settle it down and get traction in the snow with 265/85.

Since the DRW conversion (F350 DRW springs and axles) and running 235s in the rear, I imagine it is going to take a little more since there are more tires to distribute the load.

I have never ran19.5s but do know they don't do well unloaded.

·
Vendor
4,105 Posts
I'm just glad they are on my M.H. A friend bought a brand new M.H. with normal tires and had a couple of blowouts. One resulted in it being in the shop for a while because of the damage the tire caused when it came apart. M.H.'s are heavy and need them. They are not perfectly true when off the ground. Maybe this is because of it sitting more than the average tire?

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
65mph is really the max I push my 7.3L at. I'm at almost 2400rpms at 65mph, so going any faster is pointless.

Going with an aluminum wheel over a steel should save me plenty of weight, so I doubt that the weight difference will be that big of a difference with the 19.5. The weight on the tires I am looking at are roughly 55lbs. But, I will save 20lbs per wheel of the four aluminum that will show. So, the weight difference will be minimal.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts