Pirate 4x4 banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been running vision 19.5's with Herc 225/70s for over a year now on my SRW 3500 dmax. I bought them because they were actually cheaper than buying some 18 or so aftermarket wheels with decent tires. And I wanted them to last more than 40k miles.

I probably have 20k on them and they still look pretty new.

They do ride rough, but I'm sure if I ever towed anything, they would be better.

If you do buy new ones, I've read of lots of issues, and I experienced it too, with them feeling loose, or wandering for the first couple thousand miles. But after a while they break in and ride fine.(or maybe I just got used to the feeling? lol)

Found a screaming deal on a lift kit, so I'm trying to sell my 19.5's because they look kinda goofy on my truck now.(but I still kinda like it)

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've got American Force 19.5's on my 12' F450. They ride stiffer than the stock 17's if I run over 70 psi. 17,000 miles and they look brand new, most of those miles are towing over 16k with 3500 lbs of tongue weight. Mine have never been balanced and they are great until you get over 70, it turns into a paint shaker. Pulling heavy trailers seems to kill any vibration from the tires.
One thing I absolutely hate is if your unloaded and hit the rumble strips it tries to pull the truck off the road, it didn't do this nearly as bad with the stock rims and tires.

·
Registered
242 Posts
~100K on 19.5's here. Got ~60K from 245 Michelin G124's on Vision aluminum wheels before they were thin and had noticeable cupping from my POS frontend. Currently running another set of used 245's on there now (Goodyear's...unsure of model at the moment) after replacing balljoints and getting rid of the unit bearings in favor of a spintech kit. I've added a leveling kit and next set will be 285's for a slightly better ride and look.

Comments above are all true...they're nice for towing, easily sourced on the road (at least 225 & 245, larger are less common) and great wear characteristics but like others have said they can bring the suck in inclement weather, are heavy as fawk, and $$$ compared to 'normal' tires. One thing I'd add is expect much more frequent balljoint and unit bearing services due to the weight. For what I use my truck for it made/makes sense and the benefits outweigh the negatives.

--Ian

·
Lets Ride
376 Posts
~100K on 19.5's here. Got ~60K from 245 Michelin G124's on Vision aluminum wheels before they were thin and had noticeable cupping from my POS frontend. Currently running another set of used 245's on there now (Goodyear's...unsure of model at the moment) after replacing balljoints and getting rid of the unit bearings in favor of a spintech kit. I've added a leveling kit and next set will be 285's for a slightly better ride and look.

Comments above are all true...they're nice for towing, easily sourced on the road (at least 225 & 245, larger are less common) and great wear characteristics but like others have said they can bring the suck in inclement weather, are heavy as fawk, and $$$ compared to 'normal' tires. One thing I'd add is expect much more frequent balljoint and unit bearing services due to the weight. For what I use my truck for it made/makes sense and the benefits outweigh the negatives.

--Ian
x2 on all the above, I have a 100 gal aux tank in the bed that is always full to smooth the ride. with the added weight and @ 65 psi in the winter I was impressed with the traction.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
Here are some pics of my 89 F350 no lift, 265/70/19.5

Only about 3000 miles on them so far. Ride is ruff but didn't feel much of a difference from lt tires. Got a shimmy in the front end but with over 200 k and 3rd owner, I want to get it in for a front end alignment first.

The rims are P30 rims opened up to ford hub centric dia.

Doesnt this have a cummins in it, you had it at bloomsburg in 2012?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I run them but I'm not fond of doing so because unless you carry a spare or two you could be screwed if a tire fails. While brand new 19.5s can be found at some truck stops I found very few on my trip across the US that actually carried them, they had to be ordered. Even more rare are decent used ones. Since there isn't a lot of demand the prices are expensive.

Even the local Les Schwab doesn't carry a lot of them and their own medium duty service vehicles are the same size. One of the local towing companies get's his from that same Les Schwab. The LS driver told me they don't get enough business in that size tire to warrant having them take up space around their shops.

Just something to keep in mind.

·
Lets Ride
376 Posts
I need to update this post.
There in nothing that I dislike about my purchase and use of 19.5's.
I feel the investment was worth it to have a higher rated tire because I only use the truck to tow.
But about 12 years and 55k miles later. The tire tread is far from wearing out but the tire itself, side walls are starting to fail.
Looks like I'm needing 4 new tires.

Because I time out way before the tread wears out I'm buying the least expensive tire possible.

·
blatant asshole
12,614 Posts
I ran them on my 99 dodge drw when it had the utility body. Great for the loaded weight.

Then i took the body off and put the bed back on.

I was cheap though and didnt buy new tires. Just take offs. Cost me 2 drw fenders, a front fender and a rear veiw mirror.

Fuck 19.5 unless new.

·
Registered
1989 Jeep Cherokee
2,180 Posts
I need to update this post.
There in nothing that I dislike about my purchase and use of 19.5's.
I feel the investment was worth it to have a higher rated tire because I only use the truck to tow.
But about 12 years and 55k miles later. The tire tread is far from wearing out but the tire itself, side walls are starting to fail.
Looks like I'm needing 4 new tires.

Because I time out way before the tread wears out I'm buying the least expensive tire possible.
How many miles did you get out of them? 19.5s seem great until they get replaced because they’re old and falling apart. 55,000 miles isn’t a lot for needing special wheels/tires. You could get that out of plenty of other tires that aren’t ‘the least expensive tire possible’ without the gay allure of 19.5s.

·
Lets Ride
376 Posts
How many miles did you get out of them? 19.5s seem great until they get replaced because they’re old and falling apart. 55,000 miles isn’t a lot for needing special wheels/tires. You could get that out of plenty of other tires that aren’t ‘the least expensive tire possible’ without the gay allure of 19.5s.
I agree with all you have said.
But I need to add, with the weight I tow I really should have a dulley.
The 19.5's seamed like a good alternative at the time. Buy a dulley or go 19.5's. At the time 19.5' was an easy cost effective answer.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I have over 50k miles on mine and could easily go another 20k. They are around 10 years old and have no dry rot but the truck stays inside. I don't tow heavy with it anymore so I don't plan on changing them.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts