Pirate 4x4 banner

Are you happy with your engine, or what did you change or would change?

• Happy with my 22RE.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Happy with my 22R.

Votes: 27 25.0%
  • Pissed off with my 22RE.

Votes: 10 9.3%
  • Pissed off with my 22R.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Wish I would have swapped for larger engine.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I did swap it for a larger engine?

Votes: 7 6.5%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After lots of money and lots of time I finished, well almost finished my 4Runner. I invested way too much money into a new 22RE Crate Toyota motor to replace the old worn out one with the following extras:

DOA Cam
Thorley Headers
Flowmaster Exhaust
Amsoil Air Filter

.....................and I am still not happy with my choice to replace it and now want a 350 or an equivalent to make up for the lost power due to full size axles and heavy tires.

Just curious to how many people are still running their 22RE/22R's and are happy with it.

·
Registered
34,264 Posts
Re: I miss my 22re

rockota said:
Wish I still had one. Almost pulled the 4.3 and put one back in, but couldn't find a good donar.

Power? no... relibility, mileage and pretty dang good low end torque though.
just a question, are you serious? has your 4.3 been un-reliable? and if so, do you think they all are? I know the 22r-re is very reliable, but I know some with a bad one, and hope they don't thnk all 22r-re's are un-reliable;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 22R put in 156k mi before my cam snapped in half. Was able to drive it the 30mi back home with only 2 squirrels banging away! For about $800, I put in a performance cam, new ported head, bored the block and a centerfoce clutch. Lots more power and torque than my Jeep. It isnt fuel injected, but i'm not complaining. I do keep extra fuel pumps on hand though as they seem to go quickly. All in all, the price was much better than a swap. Wont win a high speed race though!!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Personally, I love my 22RE. If you gear your truck properly for the size of tire you are running, you should be fine no matter what tires/axles you are running.

I have into mine:
Engnblder rebuild kit with PRO head
header
2.5 exhaust
LC EFI PRO cam

spins my 35's and 5.29 gears great. Top speed is 80, but i don't need to go faster than that in the rocks.

·
Registered
1986 4Runner
344 Posts
My 22RE has over 246k orig miles and still starts every time and runs good. It is nice to have a motor that is so reliable that I never have to think twice about it when I am on a trip.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
I don't have the expertise to do a V6 or V8 swap... soooo...

I had my 22R rebuilt at 203k, had a TRD California legal cam put in and a 20r double row timing chain (I'll never have to worry about the timing chain), 2 1/4" from the cat back and a Flowmaster...

I am very happy with this motor. It has enough power to cruise at 80 (as long as it isn't uphill) and plenty of torque for crawling.

Even uphill I rarely have to grab 3rd gear...

As long as I don't stall it, it runs well at high angles, and with an Ultimate Marlin I have to do something dumb to stall it!

All this and 16 mpg... I made it from LA to Moab with only 3 gas stops (and that's with a dented stock gas tank)!

Would I like to have a V6 or a V8... sure. Who wouldn't have fun with gobs of HP and torque. Of course I would be breaking more stuff!

Am I very glad that I kept the 22R... you bet! :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
dzp said:
My 22R put in 156k mi before my cam snapped in half. Was able to drive it the 30mi back home with only 2 squirrels banging away! For about $800, I put in a performance cam, new ported head, bored the block and a centerfoce clutch. Lots more power and torque than my Jeep. It isnt fuel injected, but i'm not complaining. I do keep extra fuel pumps on hand though as they seem to go quickly. All in all, the price was much better than a swap. Wont win a high speed race though!!

WTF? You've got yourself a story to tell the grandkids there. I've heard of some crazy stuff but damn! never heard of something like that!

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
the RE is nice and reliable, the only time i wish i had more power is for some towing, but that is it.
my pickup is just right with the RE, 37s and 5.29s.
my runner on the other hand seems like a dog, i dont know if its stock gears or shitty exhaust or what, it may just be that the 5.29 gears make up for so much torque, that i have a hard time with the stockers.
i want to 4.3 and e lock my runner and use it for a tow rig.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
It's down to the "rebuild or replace" wire for me now. Shot compression 22RE that leaks oil and diesels on startup because of loose timing chain guides. Wont pass emissions without cheating.

Same thoughts as everyone else are coming from me: The 22RE is so durable it's almost fightening, it gets decent mileage, and it doesn't have to power to break anything in slick terrain.

But I want more. I've decided to cap myself at 200HP... that seems to be the point where toy-axled rigs break a lot. What's piqued my interest is the 2.7L Tacoma 4-banger. They put out another 40-plus HP, and are very good motors by all accounts. For me it's either that or prabably a 7M-GE supra motor.

I heard mention a week back, that the Taco motor will bolt up to a W56 if you keep the bellhousing from the Taco. Anyone know if this is correct? :confused:

·
Registered
897 Posts
22r 9mpg can't figure out why, 2000 mi on remanufacured eng 5.29s with 32s!!!:eek: lots of shifting but no power barely revs to 3k in 5th:confused: paid $1200 for engine and parts.

I should have went bigger.

i miss the old 22r, came out of an RV get this I had 376k mi before the timing chain wore the guides no other probs:D

dependable as hell.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
my 22R runs great, has 244k miles, but is just plain gutless. doing a little math, getting 5.29s and dual cases would cost nearly as much as going bigger motor, and still wont give me more power. i'm going 350.

·
Banned
9,402 Posts
I'm happy with my 22RE. I rebuilt it from the ground up at 195K. I've put about 4000 on it so far and its still going strong. I've put a lot of work into it from bored .020 over, steel guides, port and polishing everything, plenum converion, doa cam, thorley, filter charger, etc.... I think I've about 140 ish hp. Sure, I could use more POWER but I don't want to deal with the carnage. As it sits I can do 80 mph with 35's. And my milage is still pretty good 14 - 18 mpg, I think.

If I had swapped to D60's, then I would have gone for a 4.3 or 350 but since I stil have locked toy axles and dual cases I felt that the 4 banger would keep the carange down to a minimum.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.