Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around but everything I find in the 35-37" tire is at the minimum 12 inches wide. Since most expo vehicles I see run thinner tires, who make a good AT/MT that is thinner? Say 8-10" wide.

thanks
micky

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
Search. This has been covered a few times recently in various tire threads. Also, all the major tire manufacturers have websites that detail the assorted sizes and tread patterns they offer.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the BFG tires, but i wonder how loud they would be. Despite my love of off road my ass spends the majority of time on road. The large lugs would lead me to think those tires will hum like mad on the highway and there is no siping (spelling?). I am no tire expert but I heard that siping is what grabs in snow and ice, which we do get here in Ohio.

micky

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
My buddy had a set of the 33 x 10.50 BFG MTs on his Taco and they were noisier than the average AT, but not bad for a MT really. I'd say they are not as loud as my Goodyear Wrangler MTs, which suck ass by the way.

Most of the skinny tires are going to be either oddball mud tires like Interco junk or 16"-17" metric sized tires.

·
Registered
8,312 Posts
Don't they still make the BFG all terrain in a 33/10.50?
Travis..

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
I mentioned the Interco junk several posts up.

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
You people do realize that Interco makes Super Swampers don't you?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
BFG MTs aren't very loud. You can get any tire siped. I second the 34x10.5 LTB although they're a bit on the small side for you.

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
The Super Swamper LTB 34x10.5 runs very small. It's more like a small 33" tire.

The "Special Service" a.k.a. "Narrow Super Swamper" TSL Bias-ply 34x9 and 34x9.5 runs very big. It's a tiny bit taller than most 35" tires.

The Super Swamper SSR radial 35x10.5 is just about dead-on in terms of its rated size.

But whatever you do - don't trust the published dimensions on Interco's web site. If the tires' actual dimensions match their published dimensions, it's purely a matter of luck. Interco is notorious for having wildly inaccurate dimensions in their pamplets and website, and the various series of tires have quite a lot of variance from one brand to another (LTB versus Narrow SS, for instance).

In addition to narrow 33's, you might also look into metric size 255/85-16, which is approximately 33x10. I have the 255/85-16 Interco Super Swamper TrXus M/T's on my Pinzgauer right now, and when I wear them out I will most likely be upgrading to the 34x9 Special Service Super Swamper. If you don't like Interco's tires, there are several other brands that manufacture light truck tires in this size, including BFGoodrich and Cooper.

·
Registered
12,401 Posts
To add to Rockmolester's comments/feelings on Interco tires...
The tire distributor that i am working for right now won't get involved in selling the tires because there is far too much warranty work with that brand. Way too many tires come back unable to balance, manufacturer defects, crazy uneven wear, ect. ect. ect...
The previous distributor I was with was selling them, but was planning on dropping the whole line because of the ridiculous percentage of tires they had to warranty.

To me, an "expedition tire" should be more dependable than what Interco's have been across the board.
I'm not saying that they aren't tough tires for the most part, but you usually don't find out there's a problem until you mount them on your rig. And if after driving through the desert/rainforest/arctic and blow a tire and need to use a spare only to find out that there's a problem with it... That's generally the worst time to realize you chose the wrong tire. ;)

·
Registered
17,127 Posts
I second everything bad that has ever been said about Interco tires.

·
I LOOOVE ROCKS!
1,608 Posts
I will not say that all of Interco's tires are perfect; I've had my share of out-of-round Swampers. But in 15 years and 5 different off-road trucks, I've never had one go flat or delaminate or blow out or any other problems. Having worked for almost 5 years at 4 Wheel Parts, I can say that the "defective" tires people came back to us with for warranty were usually a result of having overloaded the tires, and having run them underinflated.

When mounting new Swampers, if they required an excessive amount of weight to balance, or were significantly out-of-round, then 4 Wheel Parts wouldn't even put them on a customer's truck; we'd immediately mark the tire as defective and install a new one. That's also one of the reasons why we would test-drive the truck before turning the keys over to the customer. And why 4 Wheel Parts also has a lifetime warranty available on any tires you buy.

Interco tires may be sub-par on-road, but they will survive off-road punishment that other brands won't. I warrantied out more BFG's with torn sidewalls than any other brand, but almost all "off-road" radial tires are hardly more than passenger car tires with knobby tread. Swampers - especially their bias ply tires - have thick, tough sidewalls that survive a lot more punishment. But as a result, they're heavier, harder to balance, and generate more heat at highway speeds and when overloaded, so they're more prone to delamination and other side effects. Does that make them "defective" though?

One other compromise with the Super Swampers is that they are made with a less-expensive clamshell mold, rather than the much more costly multi-segment molds that modern and more street-friendly tires are made with. This is why Super Swampers are generally so much less expensive than, say, a BFG or Goodyear or Toyo or Nitto or Pro Comp or other street-friendly M/T's. But the clamshell molds don't make as perfectly round a tire as the more expensive segmented molds. There's always a tradeoff.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want a set of Super Swampers, buy them from a shop that will help make sure that you've got a complete set of good ones - a reasonable amount of weights, and reasonably round and smooth. And if you can get a warranty like 4 Wheel Parts offers, then even if the tires do have a problem later on down the road (or trail) you won't be out-of-pocket for a whole new tire. And while a warranty won't help you when you're out in the middle of nowhere with a flat, the lower price of the set of Swampers means you could probably carry an extra spare tire for the same price, if you're really that worried.

Or you could just buy another brand, if you really don't like Swampers.

I just wish we had more companies offering "pizza cutter" tires - tall, skinny, knobby, and tough. Mickey Thompson specializes in fat tires, so why can't they or someone else specialize in skinny tires?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think im going to hold off til august to see what new sizes of KM2 are being released. If they have one that fits what i want then thats where im going.

micky

1 - 20 of 56 Posts