Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see all these fancy and shiney rear bumpers for sale,but who make a real one that will last when you slam down on the rocks. I know make your own right! But what if you don't have the time,any help on this one?:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Jeeperman makes a pretty beefy bumper imo, but $$$$
id go to a local fab shop and have them make u one with some 2x4 .25wall...

and btw yur gonna get flammed for this :flipoff2:

·
Vendor
2,020 Posts
I hate the 2"x4" bumpers. No form or lines. I had good luck out of the M.O.R.E. & Hansen bumpers. Both have nice lines that contour to the body and both are stout.

·
Rolling Mod
04 Wrangler Unlimited, 67 F100
42,177 Posts
I had a Currie rear made from 3/16" plate. Not bad, fairly strong. I currently have a Poly Performance Bumper made from DOM. 2-3x as strong as plate. I bent my last 2 Currie's (Both made by Hanson back when Currie bumpers were better) and I cannot ding the Poly Part. And it isn't for a lack of trying.

·
Registered
9,864 Posts
I have Warn but I do like the Currie set-up with the Tail-Bonz that wrap around and protect the bottom of the corner. They look like they would save a guy who doesn't get to wheel often from having to mount a set of 3/8" corners and add a bunch of weight.

That being said, there are some folks making stuff that is a lot more stout and you won't see them on every rig on the trail if being different is your thing. Blue Torch Fab made the bumpers on my two buddies' YJs and they seem tough. The bumper that BlueOneTonYJ shows above looks great also.

The thing that I've found is that you want as much support for your spare as possible. Beefy hinges and extra connections to the bumper or body will help keep the weight of a big tire from stressing the frame and breaking the hinge.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I have a swing out like the ones above ill sell you for $100 its for a 8lug rim but you can change that pretty easy

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
O.K. I've seen all the nice pictures

Thanks for all the the feedback on my post but some of your picture are of the pretty painted bumpers like I said. NOW WHO REALLY BOUNCED OFF THE ROCKS WITH ONE AND WHICH ONES HOLD UP? SEND PICS OF YOUR ABUSED BUMPERS AND THEN LETS TALK:shaking::shaking:

·
Mr. DJ
20,846 Posts
I like my Currie bumper but all the reciever is good for is a tow strap . The bumper is not rated to tow at all . Interesting comment about Hansen doing the old Currie bumpers . I thought my new one was no where as strong as the one I had some 8 years ago . I'd go with a Hansen if I didi it agian.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts