·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
has anyone personally used any of these kits

·
Registered
492 Posts
Napa has slotted and drilled rotors for most models and ceramic pads. I have used them for about 4 years now and work my truck pretty hard. They used to be lifetime warranty on everything, even the rotors but i am not sure if they still are.

·
Here's Johnny!
1,582 Posts
I use Brembo rotors and Hawk pads and I've been very happy with them. Ran slotted rotors the first time around and just recently switched to a normal rotor. 3/4 ton that saw a lot of DD miles and occasional towing (7K or less car trailer) during the slotted rotor stage.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
EBC yellow stuff, and hydro boost. I think that's it for the King pin fronts. Maybe someone makes a drilled and slotted rotor but it would be the same size as stock.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
how about decent rotors for a D60? My '85 diesel f250 is running a '97 Ford 60 up front and new rotors from vato-zone warped in 2000mi. Only easy daily driving with only one 200mi trip with a trailer shouldnt waste rotors :mad3:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Napa has slotted and drilled rotors for most models and ceramic pads. I have used them for about 4 years now and work my truck pretty hard. They used to be lifetime warranty on everything, even the rotors but i am not sure if they still are.
Don't use ceramic pads on a tow rig... They overheat and fade at a lower temperature than semi-metallic pads. A friend of mine found this out the hard way, towing his boat down the big hill to the Dale Hollow boat ramp...

Mike

·
Registered
125 Posts
my opinion is go with ebc made in england
get the yellow stuff youre pickup will stop like a porshe
they last longer and out proform alsmost anything
they are the best brakes you can get for a towrig hands down
one customer i sold them to plows in winter and tows 10k and up in summer and he got 3 years averaging 20k miles a year

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
my opinion is go with ebc made in england
get the yellow stuff youre pickup will stop like a porshe
they last longer and out proform alsmost anything
they are the best brakes you can get for a towrig hands down
one customer i sold them to plows in winter and tows 10k and up in summer and he got 3 years averaging 20k miles a year
What rotors did you use

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
2002 F350, stock rotors warped by 30k. Changed out to Napa rotors and pads, warped within 20k and the pads sucked (dusted and you could not get them to stop squealing). Finally spent the money on Cryo Rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Going on 42k miles and they still will send you through the windshield with no dusting and are quiet.

This is it's normal load:

With this thrown in for a trip to Moab and back:

I'm sold and several of my friends (with superduties) have also become believers. Got everything from Summit.

Jack

·
nice roach.
5,739 Posts
watching this thread, itll be time to do the brakes on my 07 dodge in the near future. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Don't use ceramic pads on a tow rig... They overheat and fade at a lower temperature than semi-metallic pads. A friend of mine found this out the hard way, towing his boat down the big hill to the Dale Hollow boat ramp...

Mike
That's only the EXACT opposite experience I have had.

Semi-metallics, would not survive on my truck, even not towing. They'de get destroyed in as little as 10,000 miles of heavy traffic. I worked my way up to ceramics and have not looked back.

Cold, they don't grip as well, once they get hot, they grip hard enough to destroy rotors. I've had my front brakes alone :homer: stop 15,000lbs of truck and trailer coming down a steep grade with a stop at the bottom. Braking was still pretty damn solid, just a little softness from the brake fluid boiling, at least I assume it was boiling because smoke was rolling off the rotors.

That one incident, killed the two rotors (warped bad, blued, and fine surface cracks, but the pads were fine.:eek:

The ceramic pads were picked up at a local autoparts store, nothing special. I run them on both the durango and the truck now. Trail rigs stay semi-metallic for their cold braking performance.

·
Ford Bigot
4,101 Posts
Ceramic pads put heat into the rotor because they do not absorb any themselves. Do not use them on something heavy. You want pads to wear, ceramics are hard on the rotor surface and don't wear as fast.

You want to use the heaviest metallic pad you can find. Raybestos used to call them SuperStops, and they were dusty as shit but worked well.

DO NOT use drilled rotors. I can't say that enough. They do not function better, nor do they cool better. I don't know where this myth came from.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2002 F350, stock rotors warped by 30k. Changed out to Napa rotors and pads, warped within 20k and the pads sucked (dusted and you could not get them to stop squealing). Finally spent the money on Cryo Rotors and Hawk LTS pads. Going on 42k miles and they still will send you through the windshield with no dusting and are quiet.

This is it's normal load:

With this thrown in for a trip to Moab and back:

I'm sold and several of my friends (with superduties) have also become believers. Got everything from Summit.

Jack
what company made the rotors

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Subscribing

·
Registered
60,133 Posts
Ceramic pads put heat into the rotor because they do not absorb any themselves. Do not use them on something heavy. You want pads to wear, ceramics are hard on the rotor surface and don't wear as fast.

You want to use the heaviest metallic pad you can find. Raybestos used to call them SuperStops, and they were dusty as shit but worked well.

DO NOT use drilled rotors. I can't say that enough. They do not function better, nor do they cool better. I don't know where this myth came from.
SuperStops - yeah, I tried those.

They made it 25,000 miles before literally CRUMBLING APART. Not even towing at that point, just commuting on flat ground.

I went to ceramics 10 years ago and haven't looked back since. Hell, my truck is STILL running the same pads with plenty to go. The only time I have damaged a rotor is when I did something stupid. In fact, that was the first thing I went to on the Durango for it's brakes. I didn't fawk around upgrading each step of the way like I did on my 1500.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Weird, im still on stock pads/rotors @ 72,000 miles on my 2500 hd. Tow a 2 car trailer loaded @ ~11,000lbs every weekend to the race track 3 hrs away. Plus all the odd jobs towing I do for side moiney.... I was just contemplating replacing them due to possibly getting a little more stopping power, cant hurt right? You guys going through hd brakes in 20k how aggressive do you drive?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts