Pirate 4x4 banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching here and google but coming up empty. There was a company that was a vendor here making ball and socket type rod ends for DE steering cylinders. They would replace the clevice ends and heims used by most.

·
Master of none.
3,631 Posts

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
They are used on lots of semi trucks with rack and pinion steering, and lots of tractors/equipment with double ended rams have them too. I'm pretty sure you could just buy replacement ends from trw/moog/Spicer

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are used on lots of semi trucks with rack and pinion steering, and lots of tractors/equipment with double ended rams have them too. I'm pretty sure you could just buy replacement ends from trw/moog/Spicer
I'll stop by the local moog distributer and see if I can get a part number

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nice product! Do the Evolution Machine ones have a flat spot machined in them for tightening them onto the cylinder end?

I just had a problem where my double ended ram disassembled itself in a race and it is inconvenient to have to pull the heims out of the clevises to make sure that the ram is not coming apart as part of prep....

·
Master of none.
3,631 Posts
Nice product! Do the Evolution Machine ones have a flat spot machined in them for tightening them onto the cylinder end?

I just had a problem where my double ended ram disassembled itself in a race and it is inconvenient to have to pull the heims out of the clevises to make sure that the ram is not coming apart as part of prep....
Yes they do have a flat machine in them.

I've see the ones used on equipment, & I've seen a lot of them worn out,
The EMF joints (just like the rest of their products) are rebuildable.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

PSC ram by chance? My last one did that, I will not get one again.

·
Registered
27,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Struck out at the distributer, without a part number. They don't do a lot of semi stuff.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sorry for the late reply, I just came across this thread.

Yes this ball socket was developed & built by Clayton Kraatz from Evolution Machining which is now EMF Rod Ends & Steering Components. We have been making Rebuildable Heim Joints since 2003, but the first Ball Socket was built and sold in 2007.

We have a Small & Medium option available. Small we use for the Hydraulic Assist steering and the medium we use for full hydraulic steering. These do not compare to a heim & clevis… they blow it out of the water. All our joints, including the Ball Sockets are North American Patent Pending and are all 100% Chromoly, including race, ball and body. They are adjustable, greaseable and rebuildable. With proper maintenance, they will last many, many years.

To Sparky of Socal: We can make any thread you need. If you want a replacement for your FJ all we need are some measurements or a sample and we can make it for you. We already make one that is a metric thread for a Chevy IFS rig. Please feel free to contact us if you would like to go this route.

Some examples of trucks running our steering joints:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts