Pirate 4x4 banner

who runs 37" KM2's?

6K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  MOORETOYX4 
#1 ·
Selling my 35" km2's to get either 37" KM2's or MTR's. Wondering if they are much bigger to justify the higher tire price and buying bigger rims (17). I ran 36" iroks for a few years and loved them but they wear to fast on the road, if there is any other tire choice bigger than a 35 with decent road wear I'm all ears.

#6 ·
I have the km2's on my fj80 and they are closer to 35" tall than they are to 37" tall. The mtr's are taller. The km2 is a decent tire for a street driven rig that sees some mild trails. The sidewalls are thin though. I ran one a mile or so on too little air pressure and the tire beat itself up and had to be replaced. I've been snow wheeling for years on almost every brand of tire and have never had that happen before or since.

#8 ·
I wheeled my TJ on them and loved them. I put about 45,000 miles a year on it, as it was my daily driver. I honestly never had a single problem with the tires ever. I have read the weak sidewall till I'm blue in the face. Be conscious of where you put your sidewalls in to. Same trail I just wheeled a guy destroyed a pitbull rocker. And I know the sidewalls aren't stronger than a rocker. Don't do dumb shit and you won't ruin your tires. Also, I think jeepman14 was just complaining about GY sidewalls in his build thread.

This is the trail I ran that the other destroyed a rocker.

#12 ·
I ran a set 35" KM2's on my TJ for 4 years as a DD and wheeling in the rocks, there great for a DD, like (sleepsontoilet) said don't do dumb shit things and they will last. I now have 35" MTR's and I hate them ride like shit and hard as hell to balance, took them off my wifes JK put BFG All Terrains on hers.
I'm also wanting to move up to 37's but the cost is insane, I'm thinking of have 2 sets of tires 35's for DD and 37's for wheeling. I know thats a lot of money for tires but it will make the 37's last a hell of a lot longer if not used as a DD.

#13 · (Edited)
I went from 35 KM2 to 37 MTr. The MTr is quieter on road, is taller than a 37 KM2, and off road performance seems to be about the same. My KM2 got real loud about 6mo in. I've had the MTr for about a year and have not noticed any wear issues. I daily drive my truck and wheel on the weekends. I running Trailready beadlocks. I did not have balancing issues with either tire. I will not run KM2 again.

#14 ·
Have you considered the DOT Maxxis Trepadors? we have been running them lately on a few shop builds and they seem to wear better and wheel better than the KM2s. They are also cheaper.

I have never ran an MTR kevlar so I have no comment about that comparison.

We currently wheel with a guy that has 37" KM2s on his JK and is trying to sell them to buy Treps, speaks volumes right there

#15 ·
If you liked your IROKs you may want to consider the Traxus MT Not as aggressive tread design so it gives up some off road performance over ther the IROK's Offroad but will run much quiter on road and at least for me gave me unbelievable wear milage. ( I have gotten almost twice the life from a set then either the km2 or the MTR ) that and they are remarkably tough side walls. Never had a single flat on my trail rig or 2 sets on a chase truck used in Mexico.

In the realm of non sticky comp tires I would run a truxus any day of the week with confidence.

And yes, available in 37x15 I would call 4wp for prices that should surprise you. Speaking of 4wp. I would also consider the pro-comp MT even though I have less time using them compared to the X-terrain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.